Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

White HPS vs Metal Halide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krustynuts

Mechanical
May 4, 2006
US
I know MH lights are preferred for whiter light, but do any of the newer "white" sodium lights perform decently in color for high-bay lighting? I don't need an absolute perfect color recognition. I mainly need to distinguish red from other colors.

Any general guidelines for cost savings between the two, capital/operating?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are you distinguishing? What level of accuracy? What color temperature is required for the test?

Anything quantitative can be calibrated for the light source, so long as there is red present, which is the case for standard incandescent lights. Lights that depend on gase emission wavelengths will tend to be problematic for quantitative systems.

TTFN

It's not really a test per se. This is for a garbage plant and all they really need to see are colors in general. Main thing is to pick up if any red bag waste is there (medical waste).

There area is basically a large warehouse with waste dumped on the floor. The operators just need to see colors in general, don't need to see if it's teal or just blue/green!

Primary interest is cost savings if the white sodium will work.

If anything, white sodium lights are specified to be more red (2600K color temperature) than "hotter" sources with higher color temperatures (5900 K color temp).

Any light that purports to have a color temperature 3200 or lower should have plenty of red

TTFN

It would be pretty easy to test.... a couple of luminaires, a couple of garbage bags.....

Holophane or other lighting manufacturer should be more than happy to loan you a couple of units to test. At least until you place an order.

Krustynuts; If I remember correctly Sodiums often have a 24,000Hr life and MH (I think) generally go for 15,000Hr. Personally I'd rather work under MH... Sodium..eeeeeeeuw.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

What about upfront costs and operating costs? Any drastic savings for HPS?

Well when HPS bulbs cost less than MH and then last 24,000/15,000 longer it would seem to me HPS will be less expensive. Fore SHore Rocky!

However the biggest thing IMHO would be making sure you get electronic ballasts (that are good) as operating cost is where it's at these days and the electronic ballasts are far more efficient and I believe can milk longer lifetimes out of the bulbs to boot.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Do the newer whie HPS lamps strobe? That was the reason they were not used in a lot of applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back