Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Whitmore section / gusset plate analysis for single bolt connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

north_man

Structural
May 7, 2023
CA
While I understand that using a single bolt connection is controversial, the loads involved in this case are pretty small and thus I think using a single bolt might be fine.

I've got a gusset plate that connects to a single angle brace by a 3/8" bolt. I would like to know how to evaluate the effective width of the gusset plate.

I've looked online for resources describing single bolt connections and the results are either inconclusive or paywalled. What do you guys use or would you use to evaluate the effective width of a single bolt gusset plate connection.

Is a conservative estimate for the effective width just the width of the angle because this would be the maximum length of overlap between the two connecting elements?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've done this in concept for pipe crossovers. Make sure the bolt is correctly placed versus tearout and strong enough for shear as well. Give some thought to corrosion as there's no redundancy.

Single angle also has shear lag.

The actual thesis is online, if you look for it.

Would it be appropriate to design as a pin-connected member (AISC 360-16 sect. D5)? That provides some geometrical limitations on the tensile and shear rupture strength. Need to check bolt shear, bearing, and tearout, of course.

If it's in tension, with a normal connection you'd probably achieve a bit less than K=1 or whatever we're calling it these days, because the ends overlap and are somewhat clamped by the bolt. So checking it as pin-pin would likely be conservative.

Don't structural bolts start at 5/8" minimum though? With 3/4" being the prevalent size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back