Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Who can relase U2 stamp PV? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cex10k

Nov 20, 2017
IT
Dear expert

We have received offers from two supplier who have to manufacture a pressure vessel according to ASME VIII div.2 with U2 stamp. Both supplier claim they have U2 certification, but:
- Supplier A: in its website it say "Designator U2 – Certified by ASME"
- Supplier B: in the offer it say "Items will be covered by U2 Stamp certificate issued by authorized inspection agency Lloyd's Register Insurance Inc."

My question is: can a supplier release an U2 stamp PV by its own or it is required a third part (i.e. Lloyd's)?

What we have to ask to the supplier or what we have to check to be sure U2-stamp is real.

Supplier B is 60% more expensive than supplier A (and their workshops are in a 20 km range).

Thanks
Michele

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good Morning,

You can go to the ASME website and verify that that have a U2 Designator or request a copy of the Certificate from A or B. ASME issues the Certification Mark the manufacturer applies the Designator (U U2 S etc), this change occurred several years ago. Loyd's is a AIA and as such cannot apply the Certification Mark nor the Designator. Maybe they are talking about the ASME Data Report?

I believe it's the manufacturer who (physically) applies the stamp, but not until the AI has approved the design, fabrication, testing, and so forth. Not 100% sure though, hopefully, others can concur.
Use this link to browse the ASME stamp holder database.

Stamping should be applied prior to signing data report....not after. Data report is the last item....after fabrication is complete. AI must ensure proper nameplate is applied to correct vessel. How can an AI sign a Data Report without completing all necessary inspections.

Only ASME authorizes pressure vessels, heat exchangers and boilers manufactures can manufactures stamped vessels (with U and U2), before proceeding make sure manufacture's U and U2 certificates validity. Further supplier/ manufacture they only fabricate/ manufacture the vessel as per ASME requirement and an authorized ASME inspector (Usually a third party) inspect the vessel (from design to testing) as per ASME requirement if it meet the requirement he stamped.

U_thqoma.png

XL83NL image is attached for your reference.

Yes, the company’s authorised to do activities on behalf of ASME. ASME itself doesn’t authorise, endorses or approves vessels in itself. That’s the difference I was trying to point out.

ASME writes the codes and the AI, a third party authorized inspector, is normally resident at the fabrication plant, enforces the codes used by the fabricator; then upon a satisfactory review on the application of the codes by the manufacturer, the A.I will stamp the P.V. and sign the manufacturer's data report. Meanwhile the manufacturer has to pay fees to the N.B. for the use the National Board U stamp in your case. The P.V. will also bear a NB number which is indicated in the manufactuere's data sheet. Double check with the NB to be sure that the manufacturer is still in good standing with the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back