Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Who checks the z-equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

legner

Structural
Mar 24, 1999
US
Chapter 10 of the code requires that the following be satisfied: z &lt;= 175 (interior) or z&lt;= 145 (exterior), where z = f_s (d_c A)^1/3.<br>
<br>
Meeting this requirement can be tricky in a real building. For example, for a structural slab on grade which spans, say, between grade beams, but is built directly on grade, the maximum bar spacing with 3" cover is on the order of 4 inches.<br>
<br>
I do not believe the CRSI design handbook designs meet the z-equations. Does everyone else violate the requirement to arrive at reasonable designs?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. I knowingly violate this provision any virtually all my concrete designs. The provision is unrealistic and impractical.

This provision has been completely rewritten in ACI 318-99. There was also an excellent discussion of this topic by Robert Frosch in the May-June 1999 issue of the ACI Structural Journal.

I have a copy of ACI 318-99, and the Z-equation section has been revised. You now directly calculate the reinforcement spacing, and the results thankfully seem more resonable than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back