Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who 'Invented' Metric 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

friartuck

Mechanical
May 31, 2004
GB
Does any body know how 'metric' came about.

I think the metre was supposed to be the circumference of the earth divided by 100,000 or something like that. But where did the kG come from and the Celcius.

We seem to have a real mish mash of units and knowbody sticking to them.

For instance, we have the kW for power as well as HP (Horse Power) and PS (Pferdestarke) which is a 'metric' horse power...(How can you have a metric horse power.)

I know that there is a thread on Metric already, but I don't think it was clear on who started it all. Any clues out there?

Sorry if this question has been raised already.

Friar Tuck of Sherwood

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd prefer metric. If I take measurements from a drawing, I usually have to do two conversions to get a consistent unit: 23'-7 13/16" = 23.65'. Any conversion can be a source of error - at my last job, a drafter converted 1'-8" to 18" which caused all sorts of problems down the road.

And one other reason - slugs. Need I say more?

-erica

> There's no reason you couldn't work in W/in-ºF. Even in metric units, you often can get errors because someone is using W/m*K and someone else is using W/cm*K

> The problem with mixed fractions is that they're MIXED. We use decimal inches in all our drawings with no problems other than normal addition and subtraction errors.

TTFN

I hope the pubs don't change over to the metric system.....that will really take away from the British history not forgetting in might confuse the drunks. [cheers]

I agree with Erica....slugs.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Do you trust your intuition or go with the flow?

At which system measurement belongs the term pint? A pint has always the same quantity of beer? The foam wide shear above the liquid beer is included in the pint volume?

The Nederland Pint is equal to the English pint?

Are the beer drinkers being stolen because when they ask for a pint they also pay the foam?

luis

Heckler, that's very considerate of you but it's probably a bit of history we could do without.

Er, on a pint beer glass there is a line near the top that marks the pint level, the liquid must reach this line and any foam is above this - and the pumps are usually push button so they dispense an exact pint.

Surely it's more efficient to drink by the litre, this means less visits to the counter, less glasses to collect and wash.

Just to make things more confusing, a US pint (liquid) is NOT equal to a British pint. So when you Brits come to drink our fine microbrews in the Pacific Northwest, don't feel cheated when your Pint seems a little short.

dpc, I'm not sure I'd notice. Unfortunately for most Brits when they go abroad they ask for beer but get something different and very cold. Lager aside (a relatively recent introduction) there is no cooling involved over here.

Yes that's the sort of stuff, probably an acquired taste. However all I remember from my brief visits about 30 years ago being available was B*******er (I don't think we are allowed to advertise the name on Eng Tips) which is now sold over here too.

Unless you were going to give an ringing endorsement or opposite, it's not advertising. Even then, it might still not qualify as advertising, unless you also have vested interest in the product selling.

Brand names are not prohibited, per se, since many forum names include a brand name.

TTFN

UKpete said:
Yes that's the sort of stuff, probably an acquired taste. However all I remember from my brief visits about 30 years ago being available was B*******er (I don't think we are allowed to advertise the name on Eng Tips) which is now sold over here too.

But Filtered Horse P!$$ starts with an 'F', not a 'B'.[wink][wink]

Come to Portland Oregon and enjoy the vast variety of beers available, the majority of which are brewed within 200 miles. You could probably enjoy a different, good, beer every day all year.

IRstuff - thanks for the clarification. I don't intend to endorse one way or the other (each to his own!).

davidbeach - I didn't have a high quality experience but perhaps I was misusing the product. I am very confident too that suitable alternative products are available in Oregon, but unfortunately I'm scared of volcanoes.

I recently had the great pleasure of visiting Dusseldorf and Dortmund in Germany. I have never seen so many breweries...I think over 200. And the beer is superb. Incidentally it was a technical visit to a large pump manufacturer.

Well worth going on if you can wangle it. (Wilo Pumps in case you were interested)

Friar Tuck of Sherwood

Somebody mentioned the US pint being different to the Inperial Pint. How did this happen?
Are there any other units that are different, i.e. US gallon, (Is there a US inch or is it the same as an Imperial Inch--25.4mm)

Friar Tuck of Sherwood

i reckon they had tons before they had kgs ...
a long ton is an imperial ton = 2240 lbs (just about a metric tonne)
a short ton is 2000 lbs ... i guess they couldn't be bothered with the 240 lbs (maybe a comment on the education system in the US)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back