Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Who makes rigid composite sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUFUS2K

Mechanical
May 21, 2002
US
A few years ago I got a sample pack of really cool composite strips. I think that there were four strips in the pack and they were about 1" x 4" x .05" thick. The cool thing about them was that each strip had the filaments laid in a specific direction so that each one had completely different mechanical properties. One would twist but was completely rigid if you tried to bend it length-wise, another was rigid in torsion, but flexible in bending, etc.
Does anyone have any idea who makes flat, thin, sheets like that? I need a thin reinforcing strip behind a formed plastic panel and one of those strips would be perfect.

Thank you all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I could... but I don't think I'm allowed to even say that here.

Incase you're not sure what you're looking for or want to make it yourself...

Strip 1 ("would twist but was completely rigid if you tried to bend it length-wise"), is likely unidirectional carbon fibre placed only in the 0° direction (0° being along the 4" direction). I say carbon fibre because you'll have more stiffness for the thickness you are looking for as opposed to glass fibre.

I would use 2 plies of a 600gram/sq.meter fibre weight (without the resin) prepreg for a cured ply thickness of 0.62mm(.024") which will give you the thickness you are looking for.

Strip 2 ("rigid in torsion, but flexible in bending"), is likely unidirectional carbon fibre placed only in the + and - 45° direction (0° being along the 4" direction).

I would use 4 plies of this in order to avoid stresses caused by the resin shrinking and not the fibres. Although it is technically unbalanced, you might get away with at least making it symetrical through thickness. This would be +45, -45, -45, +45.

I suggested epoxy prepreg, but you can go with wet layup as well.
Hope this was helpful!

KurtKrDU: I don't understand. You could tell me who makes what I am looking for, or you could make it? And why would answering the question not be allowed? I don't know of any posting rules that would prevent it.

Thanks.

Perhaps he is affiliated with the supplier he has in mind.

Search for anisotropic composite [MATERIAL FORM.] Sheet, skin, panel, etc.

Sorry gents, I'm new to this forum and wasn't sure of the severity of sales activity rules.
I personaly can make you the little pieces you require.

Go to wurks.ca (side project) to find my email address. Hope this is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back