Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Who nows about profilometers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heloman29

Aerospace
Oct 25, 2007
US
I'm an aerospace engineer working on a repair that requires a close finish tolerance. I know nothing about profilometers other than what they do and that generally I send parts out to the metrology lab for a report if the unusual event I have to get a finish measurement.

For this repair I'd like to purchase a portable profilometer, but I need one that does not require allot of area to get a measurement. The area I have to measure is .600” diameter with a .300” hole in the center; can a portable get a measurement from such a small area? Can anyone recommend a unit?

Thank you all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use this Taylor Hobson small, and we have not had any problems... they use to make a smaller one the shape of a cigarette pack they worked very well but had a problem if you squeezed it to hard on the sides it will give you a false reading Travel is limited, and you cannot do the ID of Tubing, I have attached a couple of Pictures I hope this helps Price is around $1500-$1800.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=58c01c03-74eb-46de-92f6-681972d6b4cc&file=MVC-045F.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back