Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who used the Component2::UpdateExternalFileReferences API function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZsZs

Computer
May 8, 2007
HU
I using C++ with COM, but I am happy with VB help too.
The description of this function in the API-help are nothing.
I how using it?
(I'm computer programmer not a CAD architect...)

Regards:
ZsZs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks!
I wrote the API-forum of Solidwors, but no answer...

I like use the Pack And Go function from my application, but haven't Pack And Go API-function.
I need the to realize that copy the source assembly (with parts) BUT copy a another location.

May be the essential of this function the CopyDocument() API-function.

My experience of CopyDocument function:
1. Correct working IF the names of source files identical with the names of destination files. Not possible the rename of document.
2. If the root document contain only parts (not any assembly) and I change the name of destination files - working correctly too (copy and rename).
3. (It is difficult for my poor english knowledge...)
If I scan the document-tree, and walk form end (leaf-assembly) and I always copy+rename only the end of hierarchy (as I wrote above in the part 2) the copy+rename fully working with a big and difficult source doucument.

My big problem:
If a part referencing a another part (signed with "->" in the component-tree) the reference os part not copied and the document crashed.
I found the Component2::UpdateExternalFileReferences function in the API-help, but I don't understand the work of this function.
I need source and destination for the change, but this function contain only constant values without concrete file names. How change its?

A another possible solution for this problem:
EditSketch and any method to change the references?

Regards:
ZsZs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back