Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whose job is it to do this? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicbee

Materials
Aug 8, 2002
HK
I'm a one man operation (for now) with furniture design ideas and a drive to see them materialized. Not long ago, I passed on a drawing of a chair to a friend's friend, a graphic artist, CAD draftsman based in the UK (I'm in Hong Kong). After I explained to him the technical alterations I wanted to make to the chair (using alloys) he declined the work, for lack on experience he said. My question is: Am I knocking on the wrong door? Whose job is it to do this:

1. Technical drawings for manufacturing purpose
2. Work-in-progress drawings for me to visualize my design changes
3. A finished, 3D rendition for presentation/marketing purpose

Thanks for your assistance because I'm a bit puzzled right now.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Every country's different but in Canada tasks 1 & 2 would probably be assigned to an engineering technologist, possibly an drafting technician with manufacturing experience. For #3 either of the above or a graphic artist.

The technologist should also be able to spec all your materials and processes.

The technologist will have a two year technical diploma, the technician less than a year technical training. I'm not sure what the equivalents are in the UK or HK.

Strictly speaking this is design work which by law in Canada should be carried out by an engineer, but I think that would be a bit overkill for this situation.

Vicbee: You might consider finding a CAD shop that uses 3D modeling software like SolidWorks. Work with them to create your vision of the solid. Once the solid is right, the software will automatically create the individual part drawings you need. This is quite easy for software like SolidWorks. Additionally, if you need to check structural loads on the chair, SolidWorks can do that too with a Finite Element Analysis module. Check that the design house has that capability with their SolidWorks.

Thank you both for your helpful replies. I do have follow up questions: Since all I own at this time are the ideas, I am a bit paranoid about showing my drawings to people who could very easily and quickly get them to manufacturers (particularly in Hong Kong!). Are there standard non-disclosure agreements that I can have a shop sign and do I have ownership of everything they produce pertaining to my project? Those accountability issues make me want to look at US based service providers due to the efficient US legal system, should a worst case scenario develop. Time zone aside, are there any technical complications arising from living on different continents (ie. send/receive files)?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back