Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Why CAD if CAE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Because CAE is used for analysis and is simplified compared with CAD which is used to define build intent. I suspect by CAE you are referring to the rather dull topic of FEA, typically FEA models do not include the essentials of real structures like bend radii, tolerances, surface finishes, and so on.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

CAD and CAE have two different purposes, both very important. CAE helps the engineer refine and improve his design. CAD allows him to communicate that design accurately and completely in the outside world to folks who don't want or need to know about stress levels, but do need to know about fit and finish, fabrication techniques, complete specs of commercial items, etc.

I can use a wrench as a hammer.. But its not the best tool for the job...

While some CAE software has some primitive modeling capability its job is analysis of models.. not the creation of them..

I've got a screwdriver too ... it makes for a lousy hammer, but a hammer can work for a screwdriver ! (re "scotish screwdriver").

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Every CAE tool I've used had very weak modeling tools compared to any CAD tool I've used. Usually I import geometry and only use the CAE modeling to make little tweaks or clean up the model (mostly defeaturing but even that is usually far simpler in the CAD tool).

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

There are also practical reasons. Say you have multiple CAE tools from different vendors; would you really want to have the multiple CAD tools from each CAE tool also, and not necessarily be able to cleanly transfer data between CAD tools, just to use the CAE tools?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Along the same lines as what IRstuff said, there are multiple downstream uses for CAD data, CAE being only one of them. You can also do CNC programing from CAD models, inspect production, make renderings for sales literature, create owners manuals, etc., etc. Some of that can be done from some CAE models but usually the options are much more limited.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Of course, some of the CAD, CAE, CAM... packages are pretty integrated these days.

Though many still doubt or have issues with the CAE function of those packages.

Plus if you're in an environment you can make use of full MBD then the drawing aspect goes away - but you still need suitable 'annotation' functionality in your modeller.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

CAE systems are typically coded to create geometry for the simple purpose of performing the analysis. Their geometry creation and editing is also usually limited to the resolution and forms that are practical for that analysis context.

CAD systems are coded to create geometry for practically any use. It used to be drawings only, but the 3D / 2D systems really are well suited as the "all around" solution. We have a couple of "CAE" systems (fluid dynamics and structural FEA) and in both cases we find more productivity by modeling in a CAD system not the CAE modeler.

When you're using a system not well suited to the end use, productivity can be nearly impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back