Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do a second pour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

getlm00

Computer
Dec 26, 2003
US
Why would they pour a 2 inch second pour over an existing basement floor? This is a new house and the basement was complete, then a second pour of cement was put on top.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would go see the contractor, look him in the eye, and decide whether his explanation is bs or not. There are good reasons for topping your slab, but it's pretty unusual, and I would definitely be wary, especially if the contractor didn't mention to you why they were doing it. It's possible that the slab was cracked extensively due to poor workmanship, which may result in further cracking of the new concrete, hence aesthetic damage and possible water intrustion. Ask him! If you suspect him of 'evildoing', you can hire a testing firm to do some remote sensing, possibly using a GPR that may confirm your suspicions, maybe even in civil court. Good luck.

The most probable reason is that the foundation settled, causing some unsightly cracks. Perhaps the owner had a clause restricted the number or size of cracks allowed. Or, the workers forgot to put in some drain tile to the sump pump before the 1st pour???

My 2nd guess would be for leveling or meeting minimum thickness, as dik suggested.

Best to ask and find out, then let us know!
Ken

If it was cracking, the cracks will reappear. We have repoured when the flood was grosely out of lvl.

Jheidt has the right idea, just ask...

It could also be possible that the contractor missed his finished floor elevation and therefore added the necessary topping to achieve this.

I suspect the finish did not come out well. Often times the slab concrete is very wet. If it is too wet it will shrink ecessively, causing cracking. It could also be as DDS1 said the grade was off. If the two inches of reduced clearance (if the grade was right) is not a problem, you are probably okay. Ask the contractor. Just rember no matter how well you plan, things happen you don't expect. If he didn't charge for the 2 inches, It sounds like he had a problem and took care of it, although he should tell you what happened.

In these parts once upon a time there was a standard practice to pour a "mud slab" first. This slab was 2 to 3 inches thick. The concrete quality was less, the finish not intended as final. It provided a clean dust free platform for storing materials.....whatever else benefit I don't know.

At the completeion of the job, they would pour the final slab over this.

Perhaps you had an old timer leading this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back