Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Why do engineers encourage people to become engineers 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

owg

Chemical
Sep 2, 2001
CA
If supply and demand is a major determinant of salary levels, why are engineers so keen to encourage people to become engineers? I also notice that engineers are keen to encourage under represented groups to become engineers. Are we really so altruistic?

HAZOP at

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is very easy for many to be frustrated at work and say “I’m going to start my own business and be my own boss, have more time for the family, and have financial security”. Well according to

those are the wrong reasons to become an entrepreneur and most likely lead to failure. Yes we have to work for a company, but for me I have direction of where I want to go, a nicely paid salary so that my family and I can enjoy, and most of my healthcare is paid. I look at myself as my own company and my manager and others are my customers. I created a brand of me with specific key skills that I know my customers need and will pay, all of this without putting my house and the kid’s college fund on the line. One of the nuggets that I picked up at the many professional development classes is branding your self like the big boys. If you do have the entrepreneur spirit, why don’t you practice it in your own company? Your commodities are your skills and your customers are your managers and internal stake holders. Google Brand Yourself or even Professional Development and there are a host of good stuff that you can implement into your career as an engineer.

I remember back in the late 90s and early 2000s many have left the company to start working for these so called start ups. By 2007, many have come back with the realization of “wow it’s scary out there!”.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

I really don't understand all the negative comments on the profession of engineering... really.

For sure it is not the BEST for making big bucks, but it IS a sound profession and a decent foundation for possible future career moves.

An engineer is trained to think logical and critical, which in IMHO is one of the most valuable aspects of the trade in general and is quite easily "overlooked".

Wouldn't you think a Manager, after reading these comments, would think... "Man, those engineers have some issue's i tell you".

Maybe just maybe we inflict this situtaion on our selfs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back