Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

why do my acad 2k drawings open so sloowly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdogrod

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2004
US
hi i had to format my hard drive and ever since, autocad 2000 drawings take 5 minutes to open.. even the start up drawing which is on my hard drive

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, i can play a whole game of solitaire in the time it takes to open some of our huge drawings

operating system; windows xp pro
processor:intel p4 2.0 g
ram: 256 m

thanks

bdr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Bigdogrod,
You can perform a diagnostic check on your drawing files with the AUDIT command. This checks for and corrects errors. If the system variable AUDITCTL is set to 1 (on), ACAD automatically creates an audit report that lists corrections made. This report is given the same name as the drawing, but has an ADT file extension. It is not necessary to leave ACAD to display the audit report. Simply pick Program>Accessories, and then Notepad. Another possibility is that the page file is missing. ACAD creates a page file for the least-used portion of your drawing, and opens the physical memory for new drawing data. These temporary files are given the file extension of AS$. These are vital files and must never be deleted while working in ACAD. You can check in the file directory usually C:\\Windows\temp using windows explorer. Hope this helps - John

You might try a few other things. Copy the file to your hard drive and compare against a network open (if this is your case). Are you using something like Mechanical or Architectural Desktop? These run different checks on drawings as they are loaded and can be slow. Is it fast if you create a blank dwg, and save it. It should be fast, but see if it seems so. You may also try WBLOCKing the dwg out and then reopening (sometimes helps). A few thoughts...

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

thanks for the tips, unfortunately nothing worked..

auditctl is set to 0

a new drawing takes almost as long to create

i'm using just straight autocad 2000

i don't think it's a pc problem, because i can run other programs while acad is opening and those programs run normally

rod

Check your virtual memory size, and increase it to 4 times your 256 ram. AutoDesk has a minimum that AutoCAD can run on, but for best performance you need to increase it by a lot. If your hard drive is stuffed full of files and hasn't been defragged in a while it will slow dwgs down as the virtual memory struggles to breath.

If you are running other memory intensive programs along side AutoCAD, open your Windows Task Manager and take a look at what your system is doing to make sure it isn't your computer.

John Peterson

i increased virtual to a minimum 1gig max 3 gig that should help..

also i found a ton of layler manager filters.. not sure how they got there as we don't use them... is there a way to totally disable these things? i read in the help file that acad looks at each filter and layer when it opens a drawing, so it will take longer if there a million filters

bdr

You can delete all with a routine:

(defun C:LFD ()
(vl-Load-Com)
(vl-Catch-All-Apply
'(lambda ()
(vla-Remove (vla-GetExtensionDictionary
(vla-Get-Layers
(vla-Get-ActiveDocument
(vlax-Get-Acad-Object))))
"ACAD_LAYERFILTERS")))
(princ "\nAll layer filters have been deleted.")
(princ))

For a more powerful tool that also deletes Unnamed Groups, Registered Apps, etc, get the free download of CDGPurge:

twlincoln: thanks for the routine code. i pasted it at the end of acad2000.lsp but the drawings still open slowly

also the link didn't work

i'm ready to throw this whole thing out the window.. lol

bdr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back