Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Why do people give up engineering? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting if the pollsters would have correlated engineering aptitude with career longevity. I sometimes think that there is too much emphasis on being inclusive at the expense of encouraging talented individuals to enter the engineering trade.

I believe there's longevity on engineering, because as long as you can see and can sign you can be an engineer.

although sometimes i wish i am a man, because of the fact that most of engineering job (in some places) prefer male. Maybe because of the danger that will happen since most of the jobs right now is in the "danger zone" for females.

Although the article is partly correct since some of engineers (at least in our country) prefer to go to the other industry because of the greater financial needs. I met a civil engineer whose in call center industry because of salary issues. Others tends to go to other profession since there's a lot of job opportunity there.

But for me, engineering is a rewarding job. You are not a doctor that treats people but you save more people than any profession in the world

Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree. engineers creates wonderful buildings, but only God can creates wonderful minds

A very good and interesting article.

As to "longevity", in Canada the majority of engineering grads and engineering immigrants leave the profession immediately upon graduation or immigration- their longevity is zero, as they never enter the profession. The numbers are profound, with the 2006 census reporting that less than 1/3 of people with engineering degrees were working in "engineering jobs", including related jobs such as engineering management.

The reason is simple: we train and permit the immigration of vastly more engineers than our economy could possibly use.

Why do we do that? In my view, it's because there's a non-sequitur argument prevalent in the governmental and academic sectors in our country: since engineers are important to technological innovation and economic prosperity, dumping more engineers onto the job market will generate more innovation and prosperity. These people are convinced that it's still the 1950s and engineers are actually in short supply. When the profession is unable to retain 2/3 of its potential candidate pool, one thing is absolutely clear: there is no shortage of engineers here. Under those circumstances, recruiting ANYONE into the profession makes very little sense.

Personally, I do not know anyone that has left engineering for any reason, other than maternity leave or because it was the first step in launching their career. The article mentions stepping stone.

It takes a lot of time and effort, both in school, and on the job, to simply move onto something else. Granted, sometimes things pop up in life that may come into play, but to willingly leave engineering is something I cannot grasp. Sure, you may hate it, but so do most people I work with. Doesn't mean you up and leave a chosen career. I have thought about it, but it was always to advance myself and use my engineering background a a stepping stone.

I guess it is possible, but the numbers in the article are a little far fetched imo. I have to agree that maybe they were never an engineer to begin with, hit by a poor economy, or simply moved into management and they are possible not included.

cksh, i think you are right on "they are not engineers to begin with" I've met some of them who just chose engineering because they dont know what to choose in college. They just "go with the flow". If you really have passion for your profession, you will really stay on it.

but in some places, engineers are pushed to change because there's a lot of competition in their job. And it hurtful that sometimes you are competing with non-engineers (or engineers with different field) in you job. Some of software or computer programs designed to help engineers (i.e. ETABS,STAAD,CAD) are now can be studied by non engineers and they can do the job too. Some of the companies would like to hire these people because they have a lower salary than engineers. I don't mean to be "mean" with other profession but this is what i see right now. The division of labor is not followed that much.

Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree. engineers creates wonderful buildings, but only God can creates wonderful minds

Has anyone looked at that some people may leave engineering because of job burnout? This is a real possibility.

Another problem is some people just are not cutout for it.

And my field, gaining experence isen't easy, and very few companies are willing to train people.

In my experience, many engineering undergraduates were wooed by the financial and management consulting companies during the milk round. Kind of strange to see so many of these parasitic companies at the career's fair of a science & technology college.

- Steve

SomptingGuy, perhaps taste of carrot is better than the milk!

I'd say when I was at uni we had as many if not more presentations etc by the accounting, management consulting etc. firms than serious engineering ones.

On my Aero course, many people were there not because they particularly wanted to be engineers, or had a passion for aerospace etc. but because they were good at math & physics and aero was considered one of the more difficult options. I was never quite clear if they wanted the challange or if their parents/career advisors or whatever wanted to challenge them. Either way, I suspect many of them were never going to go into engineering.

I'd guess at least half of the folks I kept in touch with didn't go into engineering but into IT or consulting etc.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Confession time.

We did a careers test at the age of about 16. Mine came out with "mathematician", "engineer", or "scientist". I had no idea what a mathematician or a scientist actually did 9-5 and not much more about engineers - thought it might involve being in the air force, fixing planes or something.

The love of maths and physics led me into applying for an engineering degree (seemed the thing to do). Likewise getting sponsored seemed sensible (very difficult & stressful though). When we started the induction course, one of the first questions the training manager asked us was "so ... what do engineers actually do?" After a bit of an embarassing silence, one guy offered "solve problems?". That's when the penny dropped for me.

- Steve

@Cranky108.

"Has anyone looked at that some people may leave engineering because of job burnout? This is a real possibility"

Ha takes me back to a project that I worked on ten years ago. Two Suicides and two heart attacks in two years. Life’s too short for that kind of pressure…

Well Sompting, I guess you were the Wheat in the Chaff;-)

I just wonder if some folks that are moderately intelligent, and have a real interest in engineering/being an engineer, don't get to study it because the grade requirements are pushed up/places taken but the 'good at math & physics' brigade that have no real interest in engineering.

Although, maybe that's the chip on my shoulder talking.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

well I think that if your intelligent enough to get into engineering you should do something else that will pay better (at least in the uk). Unless of course you have a mad love of engineering. I would guess one could love anything if your good at it.

I knew people who got their P.E. and right after getting their stamp they went into some completely opposite field. I was curious about going to Law School after graduating and was told that a lot of the better lawyers were former engineers. My investment banker friend said engineers would make good bankers. I sense a pattern here.

I could also see some people getting sick of working long hours, constantly using their brain, the stress, being yelled at and blamed for who knows what, and then thinking wow I could go make 3x as much doing an easier job. Problem solved!

Civil Development Group, LLC
Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

Well there's always the dark side (Managment), which pays better. And I see a lot of that here.
However with the shortage of experenced people, the pay is increasing some for experence.

Brandon made the comment "I could also see some people getting sick of working long hours, constantly using their brain, the stress, being yelled at and blamed for who knows what, and then thinking wow I could go make 3x as much doing an easier job. Problem solved!"

I'm leaving the architecture profession for civil engineering to major in structures. I enjoy the technical side of structures better than the art. However, I have heard this argument that civil engineers do not get paid enough. As an architectural intern, it can be very difficult to make any good money. Most start out with a 30,000-40,000 salary. The hours and stress from what I've scene are much more severe than in civil engineering. Making this change into civil engineering includes my desire to enter a profession that pays better, has less stress and better hours.

If you know of a job that is similar, easier and pays 3x, please tell me what this dream job is ?

@ jewelleeanna, im agree with you 100%

they said, sometimes we must not focus on art more because taste is always susceptible to change. We must value safety and technicalities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back