Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why don't submersible motor's need a space heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovison

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2002
US
The question is pretty cut a dry but I've always wondered why enclosed motor's such as these would not require a space heater to prevent possible condensation from forming within the motor core and stator areas? Wayne E. Lovison
service-parts@naglepumps.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestion: The submersible motor may be hermetically sealed. It may have dry air inside. Therefore, there would me minimal condensation, if any.

All of the deep well units I worked on were filled with oil. Careful attention to air displacement during installation was needed to clear all of the air out of the motor.

While it may be logical that submersible units do not exchange air with the atmosphere and therefore should not have condensation formation, there is another consideration. When you energize a space heater and make the motor internal temperature warmer than the outside it helps to prevent entrance of moisture-laden air but it also drives out some of the air that contains moisture. If the motor is sealed there is nowhere for that air to go so the space heater cannot accomplish one of its tasks. The effectiveness of the space heater is reduced, though not completely eliminated.

space heaters are designed to evaperate condinsation inside the motor so if its submersable then it is air tight and there for shouldnt need a space heater

A submersible water filled motor must be checked and filled with water before use so that no air will be inside.

At the startup a membrane will set according to pressure and the valve you take off to fill the motor will let surplus water out. This is the main job of the end membrane.

If there is any air bubble, the motor will burn teh windings on top in a little time...

Scud, I have never heard of motor filled with water. I think you are talking about the 'seal' section of a submersible application. And removing all the air from an oil filled application is extermeley important or the motor will torch. It is not filled with water.

Dear buzzp, you are right: I was indeed thinking at water filled motors, not oil filled ones. They are indeed less known since they cost a little more due to different wiring. Thanks jbartos for the link.

Technical consideration should be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back