Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why get an SE license? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vato

Structural
Aug 10, 2007
US
I'm trying to decide if an SE license will be of enough benefit to me at this point in my career and I have a couple of questions. I am a licensed PE in Colorado (I provide structural engineering services) and at this time I am not limitted, legally, to the type, size, or use of building that I can design in Colorado. Has anyone summarized the states' requirements/limitations for comparison concerning PE, SE (and an architect for that matter), legal limitations? As a civil in California one can design up to 30 stories in most areas but not hospitals. In Utah you need to be a structural for anything over 2 stories commercial. That is quite a difference. It would be helpful to compare the states at once. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't just think about "now". The future is that states are all moving towards the SE and without it, someday, you will probably have to get it.

Since I can't test in Colorado to become a Structural Engineer, what would be the best route? ie quickest and least complicated. It seems like getting licensed in Cali would be ideal, but I think I need to work under a Cali SE for a few years. Should I wait till Colorado "grandfathers" me in (if they do it that way) and then try to get reciprocity? How have other states dealt with PE's who practice SE when the state adopts the SE designation?

vato...you probably can test for the SE in Colorado. Most states offer it, even if the state does not yet require the SE. I am in a state that does not currently require the SE...in fact we are a non-specific discipline state. I practice primarily in structural engineering, but deal with other civil related disciplines as well (Pavement analysis and design, some geotechnical, some general civil).

Many states, when changing to SE requirements, will either give a grace period for compliance, grandfathering, or some combination of these.

What JAE said is correct...we are moving that way. JAE is an SE and a PE, so he's been both routes. I do not have an SE, but am considering it, just for the reasons JAE mentioned and to further my practice in other states that already require it. Believe me...I dont' relish the thought of another exam series...but you do what you need to do! Sure would be embarassing to fail it after over 30 years of extremely varied practice!!

In my state currently, they have a "title" SE act where you have to pass the SE-1 and SE-2 to call yourself an SE.

But the NCEES is moving towards a combined SE exam (SE-1 and SE-2 together - 16 hours for one test) and this means that the only other 8 hour exam you could eventually take would be the general Civil PE exam.

What might happen is that many states someday might look at the Civil PE and say that it isn't applicable to structural engineering. So you would be stuck taking the new 16 hour SE exam anyway.

We have some folks here that have taken the SE-1 but not the SE-2. In some cases, they might have to re-take the whole 16 hour SE exam to get an SE credential.

IMHO, any time you have a test available, take it as soon as possible. If you need it later the pressure will be much higher.
I worked at a firm where the SE was a requirement for promotion. A lot of good engineers took the test and couldn't pass it. While pressure wasn't the main reason, I'm positive it contributed.

I haven't figured out how Colorado is handling this yet, but I am going to take the test, here, if possible. I appreciate everyones encouragement. It sounds like I may be limitted in what I am licensed to do in the future, I hope that is not the case.

Here in Oregon we need to take the SE II and SE III to get an SE stamp. Apparently the SE I doesn't matter.

The SE III test is an Oregon and Washington only test, not national.

Pass rate in Oregon was 0% for the SE III for the past several years, but a couple of people passed it this year. One in my office !!!

An SE license is needed to design occupancy catagory 4 structures in Oregon and Washington.

Too bad there's not a consistent requirement between states. I bet that makes it really hard to get reciprocity.

Reciprocity? I'm not even close. For my license as a PE, I took what was, I believe, StructI, instead of the civil test. My work experience was under an SE, licensed in California. All I do is structural. Seems like I should be able to take the StructII without going through any internship under another SE, but I'm not sure yet. I still haven't gotten any direction from Colorado yet. Given all of this, what about architects still licensed to size beams?.....

Vato,

I am licensed in CO and as far as reciprosity is concerned you would be eligible in most states. The exceptions I am aware of are WA,OR,CA,IL, and NE. I am sure there are a few others though. I do agree with the other posters as it will be better to get under your belt as once you achieve the SE status, if the rules change as they undoubtedly will, it will be difficult to take away. I am certain you can sit for the SE II in CO. Even if you register for the exam in another state you can have it proctored in the state you live. (you need to do this early though as it it an NCEES option, for an additional fee which is far les than traveling and they need to arrange to have your "seat" there)

As far as Architects are concerned, they should not be in the business of designing beams. Although structural classes are part of the college curriculum, legally I do not believe they can design any structural elements. In some states however there are small structure limitations that allow design without a PE. TN is such a state (at least at one time) which someone could design wood structures less than 3500 or 5000 sf and less than two stories (again I am testing my memory though and of couse laws change regularly) In FL you cannot even design an awning without a PE's seal.

Gumpmaster,

I am looking for some info on the SE III, but I have been struggling to get anywhere with WA, other than it is 8 hrs and given once a year. Do you know where I can get some information regarding the test format and study materials? Any insight would be appreciated. My goal is to get licensure in OR, and I currently have taken the SE I and SE II.

Thanks in advanse.

mrpid,

There is not a wealth of information about the SE III. SEAW has a study course on it which you can order on video. The content is good, but the video quality is marginal at best.

Fall 2011 is the last date the SE III will be offered. April 2011 will be the first NCEES SE test which will replace the SE II/SE III combination. WA & CA have agreed to SE comity with this test, OR should do the same. Personally, I'm waiting until the April 2011 test.

Thanks Gumpmaster,

As it turns out I will need to take the Civil Exam to get registered in OR with a PE license before I can get registered as an SE, which means I would not take the WA SE II till the fall of 2010, so more than likely I will be taking the combo exam in 2011.

Thanks again,

Listen to Jed. Aside from more pressure, one gets out of the design mode and starts to forget things also. Finally, these kinds of things are usually like ratchets that only turn one way--harder. Kinda like taxes. LOL, I wonder if folks of the same personality type are handling both taxes and licensure.

Ahh, the supermodels. Seriously though, chicks dig nerds now. Anyway, I am still in the fog on which way to go after everyones responses, thanks though. I suppose the ncees rought is the best way to go. Anyone out there tested for an architectural license? To my continued bewilderment, it may be something that would help me obtain some design jobs and arch design is fun, especially when you know how to build it.

I don't know what forum to post this under, and since my question is related to this topic, I figure here is a good enough place to start!

I am a structural engineer in Illinois. I have no interest in the rest of the civil world, so the first license I obtained was the Illinois SE by taking the NCEES SE I and SE II exams. I do not have an Illinois PE license and do not intend to get one.

I have now obtained my license in Massachusetts by comity. Massachusetts states that I am now a "Registered Professional (Structural) Engineer."

1. May I sign my name with "PE, SE" initials behind it, or do I still only use the SE initials?

2. Does the order matter (PE or SE first)?

I am both a PE and SE in Washington, but use only the SE when stamping structural plans. If it is civil work, I use CE. My CE was obtained prior to obtaining the SE in Washington, but I think the options have changed in the last 30 years since I passed the tests.

In Colorado, the licensing is as a Professional Engineer only, regardless of whether it is CE or SE. So. in Colorado, I use PE on all documents.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

My signature for business related reports and letters uses SE, but my emails usually have none as it is a mix of personal and business useage.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Thanks. I appreciate your input. I really enjoy having this resource to find out what other people in the industry are doing.

If you were writing an article for some publication, would you include both PE and SE in your title?

For example see the Structural magazine article on the Burj Dubai (Dec 2009) written by William F. Baker, P.E., S.E., James J. Pawlikowski, S.E., LEED AP.

I doubt that UAE uses PE, SE, or LEED AP designation for their engineers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back