Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

why I am getting stresses higher than the ultimate strength of concrete in ABAQUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compe_ad

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2022
US
I am modeling a concrete cylinder compression test. Loading is applied along z direction, and I am checking the sigma_33 stresses. I am having maximum signma_33 at the element centroid around 78 MPa (see attached graph). I don't get it why it is higher than the ultimate concrete strength of concrete (58 MPa).
Which stress does ABAQUS consider to check yielding and damage for concrete material?
definedVS_observed_spkrls.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is difficult to say why as you have provided little information, but one of the reasons might be that the confined concrete strength (i.e. multiaxial compression) is higher than its uniaxial strength. Depending on your boundary conditions, load application etc., you might have triaxial compression where you have high sigma_33.

It is an uniaxial loading. Bottom of the cylinder is fixed, and a pressure load is applied at the top (see attached). I agree what you are saying but clearly its a uniaxial loading case. This is what creating a confusion.
cyl_kpvhag.jpg

Huh?? Basic material elastic response.
When you apply a stress in one direction, a material will deform in the directions transverse to the applied stress.
You have restrained these transverse displacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back