Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is there no undo command in Wildfire - PTC? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

anq

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2003
CH
We recently puchased Pro-E and are still recovering from the shock that PTC have not included an undo command in their program. Can PTC say if and when they intend to include one.
Program looks good if a little mixed with the previous version but it has been some time that I have seen a program without an undo command!

Thanks,
ANQ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pro Engineer does not have an Undo Command (except in the sketcher). Their concept is that it is easier (or more cohesive) to redefine or reroute a feature than to undo and redo again. It forces you to think twice about creating the features, but it isn't that bad once you get used to working with it.

Yeah Pro does not have an "Undo" command. This is one of the biggest shortcomings of Pro. You must be very careful when changing dimensions, as you cant see or get back to a previous value if you accidently change it. I disagrre that its "not that bad", I think PTC hasnt implemented this because of the programming difficulty not because of some lofty concept of redefining and such.

Not to be sarcastic or anything, but why would anyone need an undo command in Pro/E. The software is nothing like AutoCAD where you create something and want to change it completely you have to either delete it and start again or rotate, trim, or UNDO.
Pro/E has dimensions and attributes for features which are completely modifiable. Just change them back to their original values or settings - is that not an UNDO command?

I believe that PTC is developing an UNDO/REDO option for it's software that should be pretty powerful. I have almost no data on that now since I left the company. It was originaly being planned for future version of Pro, but that was before the Wildfire craze started.

I find the best way to get around this is to save often when you know you like the model as is. Then if you want to undo just use the erase curent option under the file menu.

I hope they build this in because the Undo option in UG is useful except you cannot redo, even in sketcher.

Michael

When you accidentally modify a value, you may not know what the original value was. Then to fix your part, you would have to pull up the trail file or an older version of the part. Doesn't it seem like an Undo button would be easier than that?

Also, what about accidentally deleting features or components? I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally deleted a component by hitting Component/Delete instead of Suppress (even the menus look the same?!?). That is an instance where Undo would be very useful.

Exactly noppenbd that is why many of our customers started dropping pro-e they did a study and found they wasted about 12% more time without an undo command. Anybody that has used an undo in another package can tell you what a great feature it is and how much stress it relieves if you make a mistake that editing dimension wont fix.

Thanks for all your comments. I don't understand how asmenut and ohio30 are so happy about the fact that there is no undo command.
I was hoping for a reply from PTC, but alas not this time.
Ciao.

Ang,

I think you are assuming that the guys at PTC actually care. By the way the old and new undo command are, however are still the same. Here is the process.....

1. Erase your screwed up part from memory
2. open it back up.

If you saved
1. erase your screwed part from memory.
2. Go into the window explorer
3. delete the latest rev.
4. Enter back into Wildfire and open the part.

Now that is fewer mouse clicks!

JOSE FIGUEROA JR.

Ang,

No one said anything about being happy about not having an undo commmand in Pro-E. Truthfully, it sucks, but once you have adapted to it, it isn't as bad as you think.

I run 5 different cad packages where I work (not by choice but by asian manufacturers), and I can say that out of all that I use (MDT, ACAD, INV, Pro-E, Solidworks), Pro-Engineer is the most Functional. Know this up front, it is like anything Compromise, Compromise, Compromise.

If Pro-E comes out with an Undo command, great. If not, I will deal with it as my machines that I design and Engineer need the functionality.

I just heard from a former boss, that the UNDO/REDO functionality that I was talking about is currently in Development for Wildfire 2, and should allow for an Undo create Feature to be Recreated with REDO. This would be especially useful than other programs like UG with only UNDO. In some cases, if you undo something by mistake you lose about the same time with other programs as you do when trying to do an undo on Pro/E now.

Although I have not used Wildfire yet, I understand that the Dashboard has some Undo functionality for feature creation and referencing.

Michael
[afro]<=>[afro2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back