Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why OSNAP settings clear after each operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrocon

Petroleum
Oct 31, 2008
US
I'm using ACAD 2004. When I am in the ISO or P&ID program my OSNAP settings clear each time I perform a new operation. This is very frustrating and time consuming because I have to reset them everytime I perform an operation. If anyone could tell me how to keep them set, or tell me whats going on it would be much appriciated......thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

petrocon,
I like 04er ;-)

How do you make the osnap settings?
Try the command "osmode".
Which commands let you lose the osnap-settings? Do you use lisps, which changes OSMODE?

Lothar

ADT 2004

I usually use midpoint, perp, intersection, endpoint, and center. I do use the autolisps from the toolbars. It happens for example when I switch from using the valve lisp, to the tee or elbow lisp. When I do this it cancels out all of my preset OSNAPS. This happens to all of our designers so as you can imagine its a pain. Thanks for your input I really appriciate it.

ok,

bad programmed lisps....

Sombody should have a look at your lisps and change the settings.
Or you make a macro with your osmode value.

Lothar

ADT 2004

My understanding about lisps, it will somehow mess up some of the autoCADD commands and that probably includes your OSNAP. Best thing to do is either reload AutoCADD or get another computer with the "unlisps" ACAD

You could try putting this near the beginning of the offending lisp [after making a backup]
Code:
(setq old-osmode (getvar "osmode"))
and this near the end
Code:
(setvar "osmode" old-osmode)
or for resetting easily, put this on a button
Code:
(setvar "osmode" 39)

Thanks for the advise everyone, I really appriciate it. I will try some of your suggestions and get back to you with my progress. Just fyi I put this question out on a few different forums and got no replies at all, so again thanks for the intell...

LISPs are ok.

BUT: USE the OSNAPS command, and in the dialog box, set the modes you want to run continuously, preventing you from having to pick each one each time.

I typically click ENDPOINT MIDPOINT INTERSECTION QUADRANT and CENTER. This covers almost all situations.

Use F-3 button to temporarily disable OSNAPS when you want to. F-3 again will turn them back on.

While working with a running set of OSNAPS as mentioned above, click on any osnap you want to have priority in THIS CURRENT opoeration. Example: Set running OSNAPS set.
Do the Operation with RUNNING osnaps. LINE [running osnap already set includes endpoint] PICK AN ENDPOINT. Other end of line- MANUALLY SELECT "PERP". PERP temorarily overides other running osnaps. Pick the line to be PERP to. Things now revert to running set for the next command. Anytime you want use F-3 to disable/re-enable running OSNAPS set.

Finally, familiarize yourself with the OSNAP command Dialog box. Useful stuff there !

This minimizes the need for ISP routines almost to ZERO.

Good LUCK !

C. Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back