Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Reactor named as Reactor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It consumes reactive power as opposed to a resistor that consumes active power. So, it was probably also natural to call it a reactor.

Why, then, isn't a capacitor also called a reactor? Because it was named after its ability to store (its capacity) electric charge. Nomenclature isn't always symmetrical or logical. It has evolved for a couple of hundred years and is not very consistent across different languages.

For example, a reactor is called a 'self' in French. The French borrowed the English words 'Self Inductance' and skipped the last part. There are loads of other examples in loads of other languages.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

I suppose Indian thinks it should be called an Inductor, which it also is. So, nothing wrong with it, I think.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

A reactor consumes reactive current. My old text books referred to inductive reactance and capacitive reactance.
Inductive reactance opposes a change in current.
Capacitive reactance opposes a change in voltage.
With AC, the voltage and current are continually changing and as a result, reactance causes a phase shift.
Although reactance may be inductive or capacitive, the term reactor generally refers to an inductive device.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

And then there are "Chokes". To me a reactor is a 3 phase AC inductor operated at 50/60hz. A choke is a DC device. And an inductor encompasses these 2 items and everything else that adheres to the equation V=L*di/dt. But that's just my terminology.

For another monkey wrench, I've also seen the value of reactors specified in KVAR. Capacitors are sometimes specified by KVAR

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back