Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why SE team why ?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthant

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2007
CA
I am using SE more then 5 year like a lot and I have 2 big disappointments what are pisses me off :
1) Variable Table/Peer Variable( which i think is one of the great features os SE) .
Why I can not change the color of the field in Variable table ( only the FONT ) ?
Is that so hard ? I know you have had this request on your meetings with main customers.
2) Xpress Route :
Why a sketch made in part enviroment is not recognized in Xpress Route as a path for a route ?! Can someone please edify me why this is not possible ?

Thank you !!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Ken,
Someone in that site deleted my comment asking, what is the logic of selecting a third plane in which the dimension lies (in Angular dimensioning).
Even if that confusion is stupid, no need to delete it.
syam

In Communist CAD world, software design YOU!

I would imagine your sketches in the part world get absorbed into the black box of code when you put that part into Xpress Route. Or, the engine behind the routing functions are set up to accept a linear, progressive series of commands and don't know how to handle anything outside of what's expected. No comfort to you, of course, but I can see how it may have evolved.

As far as the variable table fields... I, too, love the ability to color code my cells. In Excel. Unfortunately, I don't think the foundation of their variable tables, etc., is Excel based. They probably just programmed whatever got the job done, and the fluff wasn't deemed necessary.

Great things to add to an enhancement request though.

As a work-around -
In the assembly show the part sketch
Create a new sketch in the assembly on the part face
Include the part sketch elements into the assembly sketch (associatively to maintain the link)
Create the tube using the assembly sketch as the route.

It's interesting that you can now (ST6) use part edges as the route for a frame, but not for tubes.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Hello Humans,

2)Like beachcomber said you can use a sketch from part as path for frames but not for Xpres Route, and i need like this parts to be recognized as tubes to generate bend table.
1)I think variable table is very useful with colors when more designers use same model to quickly identify which variable should change or not(especially if you have a long list of variable).Or would be great if you could choose to group variables after some customized criteria that will be great.

Nice day everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back