Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why should I use the unfolding feature in GSMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimicatia

Aerospace
Jan 26, 2006
TR
Hi everyone, I am trying to understand, how the unfolding feature can be helpful for designing process. Because you can use the unfolded view tool to create sketches.
Any idea?

Eric may be you can help me... An old friend

jimi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are tons of possibilities. You shouldn't force yourself to use unfold for the sake of a sketch, but here are a few examples:

1) Section layouts for advanced surfaces - great for analyzing on paper, or developing tooling layouts.
2) flat patterns. Really good tool for flat patterning of materials which do not require K-factor. (cloth, paper, etc)
3) Reverse Engineering. I've found it useful for this in CFD applications. (and I'm sure there are more)
4) Anything that requires a law or graph can utilize this function to create the linear layout.

Probably I'm missing something obvious, but this should illustrate just a few of the ways.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Jim

Solid7 has mentioned some good examples...We use this tool to define holes on our curved flanges thus resulting in proper circles rather than splines on our flat patterns which speeds up the nc process for our puching machines...

Jimi,

I think you have what you asked for...

Sorry for not replying but I was busy in Vegas...

Hope you like your new job! See you around.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back