Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wide Flange Clamp Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry should've added more detail, but basically there is a going to be an attachment below the clamp that will be adding a tension load. I know all about Lindapters but field crews prefer this method and it is more cost effective.

Automotive manufacturers have some standards that are helpful -

gm_vhnzs1.png

Also you may find some helpful infomation here - steel interchange article

mountaineers19 said:
Has anyone had any experience designing a clamp like this before?
Yes.

It is pretty straight forward for the bolts and the clamp. You have a load point (end of plate), a pivot point the round bar and the bolt in between. Don't have the clamp too long or you can end up with larger prying forces.

If the loads are high then you'll need to check the beam flange which is more complicated, I'd look at monorail guidance for suitable checks.

I cannot find any mention of the GM conveyor standards in the public domain. Sorry that I cannot be more helpful -

Following this post for some further guidance.

@mountaineers19 did you find any useful references to complete the design?

I am having to design a similar connection. An added challenge to my situation is that the hanging load comes with a stainless steel plate. I am thinking of using galvanized bolts for clamping and a painted top clamping plate with the square bar at the outer edge. I will need to provide an insulating gasket between the square bar and bolt washer in contact with the stainless steel plate.

My factored hanging load is about 3kips.

I would suggest reviewing the ESR report for Lindapter clamps, since it outlines the design steps used for code compliance: There is a simple interaction equation for combined tension and shear. The tension and shear capacities in the ESR are based on testing, but I imagine conservative values could be derived analytically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back