Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wildfire 2.0 somtimes very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SysSys

Industrial
Jun 13, 2005
BE
Hi,

I've installed proengineer wildfire 2 on an pentium 4 3Ghz with 1Gbyte ram. I'm trying to make a sheet metal desing.
But for some reason my pc is sometimes 100% busy for 10 minuts wit proengineer (I'm just drawing a circle on the sheetmetal for making holes in it). Is my PC to slow for this program?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I never encountered the extreme problem you have. However, I was experiencing a severe slow down in Wildfire 1 when ever I opened assemblies, even small ones if the part geometry was complex. We upgraded our graphics card to the ATI FireGL X2-256t and this made A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

Our computer has 1 GB RAM and a 2Ghz Pentium 4. We may upgrade the CPU eventually but in our case the graphics card was the bottleneck. Just moving the mouse cursor across the screen used to bog things down while the graphics card tried to sort through all of the possible geometry, hidden or visible, displayed on the screen.

Your CPU and RAM are good to go. Hope it's not a virus.

Regards

Doesn't really sound like a virus. I'm more inclined to agree with Jaydeebee about the graphics card issue. You might try changing you config.sys so that you're using OpenGL (assuming you're on Windows) software graphics rather than hardware - see if this fixes the problem. Obviously the graphics will be slower in rotation, but you should notice the difference in sketcher - this is what helped us diagnose a similar issue on our machine. The config.sys entry you're looking for is called "graphics", and should be loaded in your current session.

Good Luck.

Sam
Pro/E-2001 and WF2
UGS NX3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back