Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wildfire 2 licensing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJenkins

Industrial
Jun 26, 2006
GB
Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can help. We have a Win 2K license server running a borrowable WF4 license under a WF3 version of the license server software. I have many client machines which are able to connect to the license server successfully and run either WF2 or WF3. I also have a couple of machines which can connect succesfully and run with WF3, however, with WF2 they cannot see the licenses correctly.

We know the licenses are being served correctly because WF3 works on every machine and WF2 works on most machines. Why are these few machines not able to see the licenses when running WF2 while the others can? I can ping the license server machine successfully from the failed clients and I have tried specifying the server using the IP address of the machine rather than the hostname but nothing seems to be working. I have also downloaded the latest build of WF2 and tried to install with no success - doesn't recognise that the licenses are there. This is driving me mad so if anyone has any advice it would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In case anyone does have the same problem, I have found a workaround although I still don't know what the route cause of the problem is.

Workaround:

Even though when installing, it returned a message saying no flexlm licenses had been found at the specified location, I went ahead and installed WF2 anyway. Because it couldn't see the licenses, it wouldn't allow me to create any startup configurations so after installation when I tried to run WF2 it returned a message syaing that no startup configs existed. I copied the .bat and .psf files from the working WF3 installation into the bin directory of the WF2 installation. From there, I edited the .bat file to point to the WF2 installation rather than the WF3. On running WF2, hey presto, it successfully acquired a license and ran without problem. Obviously the problem lies somewhere within PTCsetup rather than within the program itself, but this enabled me to bypass PTCsetup to create the startup configs.

I should give myself a star...

License borrowing is free. When PTC issue licenses they issue two versions of the license file. One has borrowing enabled and the other does not. So as long as your license server is operating with the borrowable license then you should be able to run the proe_borrow utility in the /bin directory to borrow a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back