Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wildfire 2 Vista/Intel compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimmble

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2007
GB
Hi,

I have just got a new laptop and unfortunately it is infected with Windows Vista.

I have installed my Student edition of Wildfire 2 but it doesnt seem to work properly. The pre-selection highlighting doesnt work despite it being turned on and the mouse pointer is out of sync with the sketcher tools.

I have searched through the various configs and options and cant find anything which gets rid of the problem. I have also chatted with our IT guys at work but we dont use Vista or Wildfire 2 so they have never experienced this problem.

Im not sure if it as a compatibility problem between Vista and Wildfire (Vista seems to be incompatible with everything I try to install) or between the onboard Intel 965 chipset and Wildfire. I have used the student edition of this software previously with no problems on a laptop running XP and a Nvidia graphics card.

I have searched the PTC website and not found any help and have not recieved a reply to the emails I have sent.

If anyone on here could shed some light I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Mick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Intel graphics chip set is not supported by PTC. Vista is not supported by the student edition.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks for the info.

This was the reply I was expecting but hoping not to get.

Looks like Vista and PTC have got me snookered on this one.

Cheers,

Mick

Just a bit of an update to this topic.

I have updated the driver for my intel chipset. Despite the automatic driver update stating that I am using the most upto date driver I found an update on the Intel website.

The driver is specifically for 32 bit versions of Vista and is version 7.14.10.1364. It is an official Intel driver.

Since updating to this driver (and Vista made it as difficult as is humanly possible) the sketcher tools now align with the mouse pointer. There is still no pre-selection highlighting but selecting planes, points, geometry ect is considerably easier due to alignment of the pointer. Using the right button and pick from list or choose next allows the software to be usable at least for what I need to use it for.

Hopefully further driver revisions will cure the remaining issues in the future.

Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back