Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wildfire 5 Constantly Switching Tabs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

random_guy

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2010
US
Hi All,

In Wildfire 5, the drawing mode is composed of tabs just like Office 2007 and Solidworks. I am getting used to it and liking it (kinda) so far.

However, to do something such as change the drawing view properties or delete a note requires that you be on the correct tab.

e.g., I want to change the scale of the drawing after adding a note. To do so, I must switch from the "annotation" tab to the "layout" tab; after that the "properties" option is displayed in the RMB selection.

Or if I want to do something simple like delete a note, I must first make sure I am on the annotations tab before I can even SELECT the note.

This is really irritating, and I know the other engineers at my work are sick of this inconvenience. I'm hoping one of you bright guys here has found a workaround.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No replies so far...

Is it because Wildfire 5 is not widely used yet? Or just because no one has a solution?

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,

Nick

I have nothing... You can set mapkeys to switch tabs, but that really doesn't make it any easier.

I have the same complaint with WF5. Even though I have been using it for months, I still find my self trying to select sketched lines while in the annotate tab and visa-versa.

They should make all entities selectable, and then, depending on the entity selected, the appropriate tab opens up and the RMB options become available. MS Office seems to do that, like if you choose a image the image tab opens up. PTC's new system adds an additional click to just about every step.

I have no intention of using WF 5 just because of this issue. I see no point in taking big steps backwards. Maybe in Creo they will get it to work better but I'm not holding my breath.

OK, Well it's good to hear we aren't the only ones having the problem... although I wish there were a solution to it.

Maybe they can release a patch for it? It's REALLY irritating. I agree with aafuni, it should work the way MS Office does. Then again, that's PTC for ya.

Thanks for the input.

How about using the Pull Down Menus?
Or Right Click see if Properties is available or if switching the selection filter helps.

Another thing to attempt would be using Applications > Legacy To block the standard Wildfire (WildFreO) interface behavior.

You can add Mapkeys for the menu items like Edit Value or Edit Properties. The end function will be the same so you'll waste less time with Tabbing.

I don't like the fact that they brought along the new interface without allowing it to be customized. SolidWorks brought about a Tab style interface in 2008 and the icons can be Large With Text, Medium with Horizontal Text or Small with just the icon. Begin Group is also available to group similar items. In my Interface I have one Tab called Custom which has all the icons I need.

I asked PTC during a Demo of WF5 if the Drawing Tab interface will be made customizable. For now the answer is NO but hopefully this will change for their sake and ours.

Happy Thanksgiving
Michael
[turkey]

You can currently customize the buttons in the tabs, just like solid works. If you right click on the tab area and choose customize the customization dialogue opens. If you then right click on any of the buttons in the tabs you can choose if you want icons, text, big icons, etc. You can also move which ones you want to be displayed and which ones to hide in the drop downs.

Actually legacy doesn't get rid of the tabs; It doesn't seem to change much of anything within the drawing environment.

Michael do you have WF5 yet? Other than the tab issue I actually like it quite a bit. Most of the old menus have been more consistent and the failed feature interface has been cleaned up a lot! Now you don't have to click through a ton of dialogues just to suppress an item and its children.

Over all I like WF5, and the tabs would be fine if, as I said in the earlier post, you could just select sketch elements while in the annotation tab for instance (this is not a selection filter option).

I agree with you aafuni,

I like WF5 a lot (it's closer in look and feel to Solidworks than ever) and the failed feature interface is great!

The tabs I'm getting used to, and starting to like. However, the inability to select items that are related to tabs not selected is a PITA. It seems redundant to have a drop down selection filter but block selections based on what tab you are in. Oh well.

If anyone figures it out, please let me know!

Thanks for the input everyone!

I agree with everyone so far. I wish you could do things without moving to another tab. I hope PTC fixes this.

On a side note to those of you who have mentioned the look and feel of Solidworks...I have the unfortunate experience right now of using this software and I can tell you I prefer almost EVERYTHING in Pro/E compared to Solidquirks. Just be happy you are using a decent CAD program instead of a poorly arranged jumble of icons that crashes day after day! I wish I was using Pro/E at work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back