Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wildfire -- Any Major Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sump

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2003
US
We're getting ready to upgrade from Pro/ENGINEER R2001 to Wildfire build 2003451 on Windows. Any major issues out there with Wildfire and using Intralink 3.3? Please specify build numbers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be prepared to loose a few weeks of good productivity out of your Pro/E guys. They will enjoy the frustration of looking for menu picks that "used to be there". To some that is a major issue. To PTC it is just a part of the upgrade. We use SofTech Corp ProductCenter/ProIntegrator. The system has its bugs but overall the upgrade to wildfire seemed fairly painless. I would expect the interlink guys to have wildefire memorized inside and out by now since you are not going to be the first of their clients to upgrade I have been on wildfire for 6 monthes now. I am approx 95% efficient as I was prior to the upgrade I still have to hunt for lesser used commands.

Note: The term upgrade is used very loosly in this post.

JOSE FIGUEROA JR.

Wildfire:
- Menu Mapper will be your best friend.
- The "guys" hate the colors; most males have at least a small degree of color blindness and whomever did the final color choices "should be shot!". So ... View, Display Settings, System Colors, Scheme, Use Pre-Wildfire Scheme. I bought new classes, a flat panel monitor, and changed ceiling lights; so I can see lt gray on med gray and differentiate mauve and maroon.
- Mouse; get a scroll wheel! Pan function by scroll zoom out and in at curser point is fast.

Intralink 3.3: seemed to be seamless.

We all took Wildfire training ... Some of our people don't like intent manager, they are really not liking Wildfire ... Some just don't want something that looks like completely new software ... Some are doing just fine.

Having moved directly from 2000i to Wildfire, I find it a vast improvement. We don't have Ilink 3.3 installed yet (that one will be a major upgrade). Overall I like the software.
A minor complaint I have: to cancel out of a feature takes several more mouse clicks than before. Although this does prevent you from accidently dropping out of your feature creation, which I have done to great frustration many time, it can be a bit tedious.
I am having problems with components disappearing from the screen. It takes experimenting with the view settings or hide/unhide to bring the parts back.
Speaking of hide/unhide, don't know if that was implimented on one of the previous releases, but I really like that fetaure. Saves a lot of time not having to create layers and add components/features to the layer and blanking.
Exporting and manipulating dwg's is greatly improved.
Personally I have only used the PTC provided tutorials and Wildfire help section to get up to speed. However, we're probably going to have training to get some of our people up to speed.
Built in mechanism is heavenly.
I thought Wildfire foundation advantage came with a single part FEA (like SolidWorks) but I have not been able to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back