Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will a pump work with the added friction due to different cylinder dimensions?(Math&Photo) below

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipleyGallegos

Mechanical
Aug 19, 2019
US
A simple pump that lifts 1,178 gallons per lever stroke. I ask this question because the bottom chamber has a larger diameter than the cylinder it's pumping water up into.(PHOTO) The math makes sence on a seesaw drawing but I'm unsure with this pump due to the different sized cylinders as friction will occur.

The lever is 80 ft long with 620(lb) load at the very end. The other end of the FULCRUM is 10ft long.

At this end is the pump rod & the piston in the bottom chamber needing to lift approximately 1,178 gallons (which is the amount of water in the well. = 9,810(lb). Here's the math with a drawn photo of the pump.

Bottom chamber = 24inch PIPE 5ft High. = 15.7 ft(3) or 118 gallons. =980(lb)

Smaller chamber is half the diameter. = 12 inch PIPE 180ft High = 141ft(3) or 1,060 gallons. =8,830(lb)

Together a total of = 9,810 (lb) must be lifted.

Lever is 10ft by (FULCRUM) 80ft long. With a 620(lb) load at the very end.

Again on,a seesaw this would work but will this pump work even though there will be friction from the different cylinder sizes? Thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e544c24d-e0fc-4493-a91d-0d9b6ef36fb7&file=0819191449-1.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I might of missed something but I cant see how that would work, there isn't enough force at the 80ft end.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

This drawing is not a credible thing.

The 24" pipe is drawn flat, not vertical. how can a 24" pipe be 5 feet high??

You don't have enough force to lift your water column

There are no valves to stop the column going down.

Each lift action will only lift a small fraction of your 1100 odd gallons at time.

what is this thing??

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

pumpthing_hspzz2.jpg

Keith Cress
kcress -

I'm sorry guys. It was actually a 160ft lever not an 80ft lever. At 160ft with that load on a seesaw will be more than equalibrium to lift the other load.

Also LittleInch it's 24inch diameter pipe that's 5ft in height. I know that little friction will occur if the well was exactly the same size and it will pump. I ask the question because the 2 cylinders in this drawing are of different dimensions.

With the same loads just different dimensions of the well will it still pump due to the added friction? From a wide cylinder to a smaller but longer cylinder. Disregard the pump flaws (like the missing valves) because this is just a drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back