Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will MBA after a MSEE help? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwingace

Electrical
Sep 3, 2007
US
I know there are several threads about whether to get a MBA or MS, or both. But my situation is alittle different.

I'm a new grad just starting my first engineering job. I am currently going part-time for my MSEE with my company paying for it.

I don't really know for sure that I want to go into management because I haven't worked much in the field yet. However, throughout school I never really felt I would be an engineer for life. So, I'm thinking I'll eventually get my MBA as well.

I've heard from many people that say getting the MS will "lock" me into an engineering position and I shouldn't do it. But, I figure if my company's paying for it why not?

Anyways my question is, since I will have my MS by the time I'm 25 with my company paying for it, is it beneficial/disadvantageous to have both an MSEE and MBA?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Continuing education while working never hurts a career. Many times it doesn't help, but it never hurts. If you work for a firm for over a year and get an MS while doing it, the MS will probably help you get more money for your next job (or help you find a better job within your company).

An MBA as a first post-grad degree sends a clear message that you are eyeing a management position. An MS followed by an MBA sends a very strong message that: (1) you are versitle; (2) that you have very strong technical engineering abilities; and (3) that you could be top management material.

At the company I worked for, the first step on the Golden Path to the Board Room was to work as a "quiz kid" in the General Office. It was a two year assignment doing the really technical stuff that top managemnt requires. Over the 10 years I worked in the GO I saw upwards of 100 promising young engineers in that position. The ones that finished the whole asignment and went on to a line-management position many had some sort of graduate degree (probably fairly close to 1/3 with an MBA, 1/3 with an MS, and 1/3 with both). The guys with both an MS and MBA tended to grasp the questions faster and had more tools to help them find answers. Some of these guys failed in their line-management assignment, but those that didn't moved very quickly up the ladder.

A graduate degree may be a liability getting a first job. After a year or so working as an engineer, it doesn't ever seem to be a liability again.

David

You should also probably check your company's procedures. Many companies will not pay for two master's degrees.

As for having both degrees. The most accurate answer is...it depends. Having an MS and an MBA will rarely hurt you but it will also probably rarely help either. It fully depends on the company you are working for (or looking to work for). As stated in previous threads on this subject, some companies look for that piece of paper that says you have a MS/MBA/MSEM, etc. but many more look to see if you have the knowledge/experience to do the job. An MBA is not a requirement for most management positions. I did take, however, some graduate business classes when getting my MS, and there was some pretty good information in some of them. It helped me in understanding how the companies I worked for were being run (or not run).

Also, I finished my part-time MS when I was 28 and let me tell you, I was ready to be done by then. The thought of continuing on with a MBA program (which is usually 36-52 hours) may be a little overwhelming.

6 years after my BSEE, I got an MBA type degree (it was called an MEA... Master Of Engineering Admin... perhaps a watered down version of MBA). Then about 7 years later I got my MSEE.

My responsibilities have been more on the technical side throughout my career. So I think the MSEE helped me more. But the MBA/MEA gives a few tools and concepts that I use occasionally. If I had become a supervisor/manager I suspect I might use those tools more.

Neither one hurts. Both probably gives you more options. If you enjoy learning, why not do both.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back