Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will memory stick work on USB 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickRussell

Chemical
Jan 20, 2003
US
On the package containing a memory stick I have, the system requirements say USB 2.0. Does anyone know if in fact it would run on a USB 1.1 port, at any speed? If so, at what speed? What was added to USB specs in going from 1.1 to 2.0 that the memory stick needs?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did it? USB 1. did not recognize either the speed or packet size indicators. It would be up to your device to have the capacity to run at the reduced speed, which I believe USB specifications indicate 'make best attempt'.

Based on the responses, rather than returning it to the store I opened the package, plugged it into a laptop with two USB 1.1 ports and running WinME (ugh - their worst version of Windows). A popup window appeared right away, recognizing the device and saying it would load the driver. Following that it ran as E: just fine. It performed reasonably well, considering it could go at only "Full Speed" rather than the "Hi Speed" of 2.0. Issue resolved. Thank you for your reponses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back