Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will the use of Silicone Nitride in Fuel Systems affect O2 sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAClutch

Automotive
May 9, 2012
US
Does anyboy know if Silicon Nitride (ceramic) will affect an O2 sensor, such as silicon lubricants in o-rings would affect them if used in a fuel delivery system? I'm asuming it would not, the silicon would leach out of the o-ring and make it through the combustion chamber, reaching the O2 sensor. The silicon nitride is innert and not behave the same way, correct?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

VAClutch, you are interchanging Silicon and Silicone. I think it is Silicones that are a problem for O2 sensors. Silicones are essentially like organic compounds where some of the carbons have been replaced by silicon. SiN, Silicon Nitride is not a Silicone.
Question: do they use SiN in fuel systems?

BTW, when people mistakenly say Silicone Valley, they may not be aware that rather than The Bay Area, they are referring to Hollywood Blvd.

140Airpower, I have to quote Homer J. Simpson on this one and say "Doh!" you are right, I am interchanging the words. I guess it doesn't help that English is not my first language. In Spanish Silicon is Silicio, and Silicone is written Silicón in Spanish, so I think that was an esay mistake to make. Thanks for clearing that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back