Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Will these steel beams support my floor? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushman

Computer
Jun 17, 2002
US
I stumbled into this forum, I probably don't belong, and I might get laughed out but here goes. I'm a computer guy, not a structural engineer obviously, with a DIY structural question: I'm planning a hip-roof building approx 36' x 60', and I'd like to have a clear-span area on the first floor for a shop area, 36' x 30. I have (nearly) free access to four 32' H-beams. They have a 10" (3/8") web with 6" (1/2") flanges.
I envision evenly spacing these across one end of the building (parallel to the 60' dimension) to support the floor joists for that area. If I used them all I would end up with 5 spaces with ~ 7' spans. I'd rather use 3 or 2 of them, with resulting longer spans for the floor joists. The beams themselves would be supported on one end by wood or steel posts integrated into the exterior wall, the other end similarly by an interior wall.
The floor above will be covered with 3/4" T&G plywood- a place to shoot baskets, etc.
I do not know where to start to determine if these beams in any configuration will provide adequate support for the 30' x 36' floor above. I do have access to heavier beams (two 16" x "5" but only 28' long, and 2 that are heavier than I want to deal with; 16" x 8" x 40' with very heavy web and flange, not sure of that dimension) but I prefer the 10" if possible for the additional headroom. Also, I'd like to place the joists between the beams rather than across the tops of the beams, to save headroom.
As far as the specs for the particular beams, I know only that they were the structure of a building that was set up temporarily here at the power plant where I work. They are in excellent condition.
Any advice on which of these beams, and how many would be adequate, or if this idea is half-baked, is much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't wait to read some responses to this post.

Rushman, you are not crazy for asking. But I'll throw you my two cents: this is not a DIY design project. Call an architect or structural engineer in your area that's familiar with your building codes. Check the yellow pages. Who ever is insuring this building would have a coronary if they heard you tried to design it from advice you got from an internet bulletin board, and built it from scrap steel you found at a power plant. And you'd be hung out to dry if you ever tried to make an insurance claim if something went wrong. I'm not sure a local building inspector would allow this without seeing a sealed set of plans, either.

You also might want to check out (Journal of Light Construction) to get a builder's advice. Go to their forums and pose the same question.

INBCPE Here, Here to your first sentence. Rushman, if you invite me to your structure, I will run the other way! This is the best advice that I have ever given 'Hire a structural engineer!'

Rushman, I am an engineer, not a computer guy.
I have access to a motherboard with four chips and seven sockets, I also have some list of 0s and 1s that were put together for the sofware. I can use a moterboard with six chips and elven sockets. I also have aC PU that is 2 x 2 inches.
Do you think I can make the software run in the computer I am planning to assemble?

Just trying to be humurous here, I hope I didn't offend you.

My advise, seriously, hire an architect that can give you the building design, structural drawings, if you have electricity, you should get electrical design also, plumbing, ventilation. Whatever you need, have it designed. Then hire good contractors. Don't forget to pull a permit and have the consactor's work inspected by the building department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back