Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will this workstation be decent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6c

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2014
US
New to eng-tips....
Needing to replace my older workstation so I can get SW upgraded. I'm a one-man home shop user of SW so I don't need, or can afford, a top of the line system. Some of my work is simple stuff, but I do some injection mold modeling that can be fairly complex.

Of most concern is the video card...Want to make sure I'll be satisfied with it's performance. What can I expect from it for speed and image quality? Never used a dual monitor setup before but they look nice. Any problem with SW using this video card for dual monitors?

Any other hardware considerations I should think about?

Dell T3600
E51620 3.6 processor
16 GB
Nvidia Q2000 Tx600 Dual monitor video card
320 GB Hard Drive
Win 7 Pro 64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what kind of parts/ asms are we talking about here (w/ the k5000)?
also, don't get i7-extreme, as they run on a lower frequency. -800mhz = 20% less oomph

The Extreme CPU's always done better when I worked for Berry Plastics. I was working on single part files most of the time, though it was complex it was built with proper design intent. There was no reason to understand why the K5000 was no better than the K2000 at the time. The rendering on the k5000 was not any faster than the K2000. I ran my own benchmark on both cards with the same hardware and I seen no improvement, especially for the money the company spent on the card.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back