Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will worm gear/worm back drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swcadguy

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2008
US
I am designing a simple fixture and would like to use a worm and worm gear arrangement for rotatation . I need to ratate the load +/- 5 degrees from zero

1. Can I move the load by turning the hand knob on top?
2. Any chance the worm gear will back-drive the worm?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will backdrive if the lead angle of the worm is high enough. Keep the lead angle below the arctan of the friction coefficient. A 5-6 degree (friction coefficient about .1) lead angle or lower generally will prevent backdriving.

It definately won't back drive with a single start worm of 168:1 ratio.

If the load has to be raised vertically check out this link for some calculations:

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2007x64 SP3.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2007x32 SP4.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.10.7756

To all,

Thanks so much for the input. First time using this forum but it is awesome.
My fixture see`s no vibration. Only static load. The worm/worm gear I have picked pout has a lead angle of 14 1/2 degree ( 180:1 ratio, 48 pitch). Have not see any lesser L,A..

Anybody have experience with this smaller worm/worm gear arrangement?
I understand MOST worm gears will not back drive but some will.

Again, Thanks for all the help.

Rule of thumb is the worm will not backdrive if the ratio is 50:1 or higher. You should have no problem at 180:1. If your application is critical, you might consider a brake; they are readily available, and might offer more peace-of-mind.
Regards,
Lcubed

Lcubed,

I did the preiminary design of an optical scanner which had a 20" diameter worm gear. I cannot remember the gear ratio, but it was well over 50:1. I had to design an oversized worm to get the lead angle down to the point where it was self locking.

Rules of thumb are not 100% reliable.

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back