Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wind column connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcan

Specifier/Regulator
Feb 26, 2004
CA
I have a beam spanning 9m and connected to column at each end by simple connection. I also have a wind column at 4.5 m to take girt, in between these columns and I want to connect this to beam above by a "vertically slotted connecton".

My doubts are as follows:

1. Do I have to design the beam as 9m simply supported beam and satisfy the deflection accordingly?

2. Can wind column with VSC will act as an intermediate support for beam or not thus reducing the deflection?

Please suggest.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The wind column is usually expected to simply take lateral forces from wall girts and transfer those lateral forces into the foundation below and the roof or floor above. It is not used to take any vertical loading....thus its name: WIND COLUMN.

Your 9m beam would remain 9m in span and be designed vertically as though the wind column wasn't even there.

The lateral force from the wind column will be transferred through the beam and presumably into the diaphragm. Be careful to follow the load path and ensure that the 9m beam is not exposed to eccentric twisting forces. In other words, it should have additional braces and/or ties into the diaphragm.

Imcan,

JAE is correct. I submit the following additions:

1) The vertical slotted connection should be detailed to permit the calculated deflection of the 9m beam. Thus, the column provides no support to the beam.

2) make sure you detail the wind column so it is short enough, that is, make the distance from bottom of the 9m beam to the top of the wind column large enough so the deflection of the beam is possible.

3) make sure the details for the vertical slotted connection are correct and the bolts have enough clearance to move downward in those vertical slots that same amount.

regards,

chichuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back