Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Drag Coefficients 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TowerEngineer

Structural
Apr 26, 1999
I didn't receive any response to this question in the Aerodynamic engineering forum, so I will give it a try here.

I am a civil/structural engineer that specializes in the design of non-building structures to resist wind and seismic forces. My question is in regard to wind drag coefficients for different shape and size objects that are typically used in the aeronautical engineering community.

Can anyone refer me to a concise and authoritative source if information with regard to drag coefficients commonly used in aeronautic design? My goal is to use this information to reverse a recent trend in civil and structural engineering toward drag coefficients that I believe are unrealistically high. I am interested in Cd for wind velocities in the range of 40 to 200 MPH.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I strongly suggest looking up an author by the name of HOERNER ... he wrote two books to my knowledge "Lift" and "Drag" they contain very detailled info on such subject as coefficients.

Hope this helps.

The Late Dr. Sigfried Hoerner's book's "Aerodynamic Lift" and "Aerodynamic Drag" have been the Bible of aircraft prelimiary design for years. They contain information on the effect of Lift and Drag on buildings. Several years ago they were sold by his wife out of bricktown NJ. Libraries should have informatlion. John Knox

I bought my copy of Horner's Fluid Dynamic Drag from Powell"s last year. Condition was mint. Price was $80, no shipping charge. VERY WORTHWHILE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back