Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Force Coefficients

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggman

Structural
Jun 9, 2003
US
I am sure this has been asked but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get a book that discusses the wind load provisions of the ASCE 7? I have the guide to the wind load provisions and this is fine but I want something more elaborate. I really need something that discusses force coefficients (shape factors) for different non-building structures that can be used with the ASCE 7 design procedures. I looked on ASCE website but to be honest I just hate trying to find things on that site and I don't have much luck.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean by non-building structures?? I have real old books that discuss mainly buildings in great detail. Books are mainly from the UK and Canada. A great book that I just got is by Simiu and Miyata for Buildings and Bridges.
It literally tears apart piece by piece the new ASCE7-05 almost to an embarrasing point. Good Luck.

I will try to explain my position. Most of my design work deals with open frame lattice structures. ASCE 7 gives force coefficients for 2D frames and towers. I can use the open signs and lattice framework when I have 2D frames and I can use the trussed towers coefficients for stacked trusses. Sometimes I have more than 2 frames in line with each other and they vary in distance. I am thinking of buying a book called Wind Effects on Strucutres from amazon which seems to be backing up the ASCE 7-98. I just want to get more in depth knowledge of the sheilding effects on open frame structures so that I can be sure I am applying the code correctly. So any help anyone can give to point me in the right direction to understand the force coefficients, how they are derived, and how to generate more than what is in the code gives is appreciated.

Thanks,

aggman,
The Structural Engineers Association of Washington has a three volume set of books that are published by Applied Technology Council ( The first two volumes, SEAW/ATC 60 are the commentary on the wind load provisions (of ASCE-7, IBC and IRC) and example problems. SEAW RSM-03 is a Handbook of a Rapid-Solutions Methodology for Wind Design (also with numerous example problems). All three volumes cover the subject in more detail than one should ever want to see.

Even though the 3 books cover the subject of wind loads in excruciating detail it seems like a major waste of time (and money since the 3 volumes cost about $160)for engineers that have to comply with the 2003 IBC to wade through all of this detail just to develop the wind loads on a structure.

aggman

The moment you introduce the word "shielding" ASCE requires either a wind load test or approved research on your issue.
Their are no other proven ways to cut corners as it relates to wind loads.

ASCE 7-05 (the latest version) has a little more information on the subject. One very useful publication on this matter that I use regularly in my work (industrial structures - power plants, chemical plants, etc.) is ASCE's "Wind Loads and Anchor Bolt Design for Petrochemical Facilities", ISBN 0-7844-0262-0. It is an older book based off of ASCE 7-88, so the examples are not applicable to current codes (it uses fastest mile wind speeds instead of the current 3-second gust). The methodology, however, can still be rationally applied.

cap4000

I think the shielding statements refer to shielding from other structures and terrain, not from parallel identical frames. The force coefficients in figure 6-22 account for the shielding on the leeward frame due to the windward frame. This is why you get Cf factors of 2 - 4. The Cf factors in figure 6-21 do not account for this and you get Cf = 1.6 - 2.0.

I read through the comentary last night and it made reference to a book put out by ASCE called "Wind Forces on Structures" for additional force coefficients. I am going to try and get that book. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back