Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wind force on a rectangular object

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptrmrk

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2003
US
I am looking for some quideline on how to determine a wind force on a rectangular object (like a highway sign) based on wind speed. I have managed to calculate the force using a fluids textbook but I'm not at all familiar with building codes and such so I don't know whether there is some regulation that might govern this kind of thing. I need this to determine the size of the structure that will be holding the object up. So I am looking for some rule, regulation, specification and/or guideline to determine the force based on wind speed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

refer to UBC(Unified building codes) 0r minimum disign load for structures by American civi engineers association.

Right. The UBC has maps of wind speeds for various areas plus tables showing the force per sq ft for various wind velocities. The BUC is infinitely more easy to use in CD form rather than paper. Do a word search.

Some codes, like Australian Standard AS1170.2, make our lives easier by specifying net pressure coefficients for standard shapes that account for positive pressure on the windward side and suction on the leeward side.

In this case, you may find that wind at 45-degees to the sign is the worst case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back