Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Generator Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglasenergy

Specifier/Regulator
May 10, 2003
US
Any ideas on firstly measuring noise generated by an industrial scale wind generator, from adjacent residential area, and second, are there devices that mask the perceived noise within those homes?

Douglas Black
ENERFICIENCY

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a calibrated sound level meter and a map. For someone with experience, I could give you the name of a noise control engineering in your area.

Masking the noise of a wind turbine seems to me a difficult thing to do. I know of a recent paper in the Journal of Sound and Vibration on the psycoacoutics of wind turbine noise that might be a good place to start.

Let me know if you would like this information and I will dig it out.

Alan

Broad Arrow Acoustics

Masking ambient noise is often difficult if not impossible. You can take background measurements first to help separate them from your measurements of interest later.

Rich L.

I'd think about using Sound Quality software and a binaural head which would enable you to conduct listening studies. This way you'd be able to compare sounds, filter the sounds to study what are the annoying characteristics and then reduce those characteristics to set targets. The software, if it's any good, will have at least 25 psycho-acoustic metrics which enable sounds to be defined by an objective indice.

If you want to correlate subjective impressions with objective metrics, then you need a Jury Evaluation package.

I can make recommendations for a source of the above if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back