Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wind load and impact load

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousinvite

Civil/Environmental
Apr 24, 2021
AU
I have to design a structural frame for garade door, made of shs column and pfc channel section. How do I calulate the wind load on the frame? Can i considered it as free standing wall and calulate the load? Is it necessary to calculate vehicular impact load on the column, it is a residential garage. What is the vehicular impact load according to australian standard?
Screenshot_2024-03-21_105455_glvqwd.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We really don't have enough information here to answer your question. You probably should ask your senior engineer. I'd consider it would be abnormal to design it as a free standing wall, also abnormal to consider vehicle impact loads.

What if there are no walls, if we consider it as a free standing frame with roller door. Can I consider it as free standing wall then? Yeah, it sounds abnormal to consider vehicular impact load, but what will be the appropriate load according to Australian Standard.

I'm in NZ and I would not normally consider this to be a freestanding wall - but I don't really understand your context of "what if there are no walls"
If there are no walls then why would you have a door??

To be helpful though, this is an easy question, AS/NZS1170.1:2002 provides several areas of potential interest to you
Table 3.1 F & G gives distributed and concentrated loads for vehicles (though these are vertical not lateral)
Table 3.2 F & G gives vehicular impact loads for barriers, and reference Clause 3.8 of that standard which points you to the Car Park requirements
If you're in an unusual situation that doesn't fit neatly into the Code then you may have to go elsewhere - NZTA has a lot of documentation around bridge barriers in NZ, for instance
In my experience, you would not typically design such a structure for vehicle impact loads - it just doesn't work

My final concern is: if you don't even know to look in 1170.1(this is literally the standard entitled Structural Design Actions) then why are you designing this?
It's your job is to figure out the appropriate loads to the Aussie standards, not ours

If it’s a freestanding frame to support roller door then yes the frame has to resist wind loads.

At a minimum I think the posts should resist basic car impact load too. People regularly hit the sides of garage openings and it’s reasonable that the frame shouldn’t fall over when struck.

It is a free standing frame to support roller door. What would be the basic car impact load?
Is it F=0.5*M*V^2/(deflection of column + deformation of vehicle), how much speed should I take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back