Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wind load on pipe hanging from bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1208

Structural
Apr 6, 2011
US
I am looking for wind load acting perpendicular to water pipe line hanging from the bridge overhang. ASCE 7-10, is not clear about the equation and the coefficients to be used for the elements of the structure (pipe line). Any idea what equation to be used from ASCE 7-10? I was not able to find any example calcs online.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASCE 7 does not include bridges (or pipes from bridges).

AASHTO is the US bridge code. In most cases, AASHTO will not consider wind on the pipe itself, because it typically does not add to the projected area of the bridge.

If you need to determine wind on only the pipe (for example, to design the pipe or its supports), you can approximate this using ASCE's provisions for wind on other structures, like a sign or trussed tower with round members. Or you can reference from other codes and sources.

----
just call me Lo.

you may need to be careful ... in case the airflow under the bridge is higher than ambient. There could be some local acceleration under the bridge, depending on the bridge ...
1) if the bridge is spanning a depression ( a gully, creek) the airflow could be lower, or
2) if the bridge is higher the surrounding land then the airflow could be higher.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back