Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Loads on Soundwalls - AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncivilEngineer

Geotechnical
Nov 5, 2014
US
It's unclear to me as to how to compute wind loads on soundwalls per the above-referenced AASHTO, specifically for wall heights less than 30 feet. Section 3.8 provides equation 3.8.1.1-1 for calculating Vdz to then use in equation 3.8.1.2.1-1 to calculate the design wind pressure (also reference Section 15). My question is, what value(s) should be used for Z (wall height) in equation 3.8.1.1-1 for wall heights less than 30 feet, considering the definition of Z below the equation states it only applies to heights greater than 30 feet? Should Z=30 feet be used for wall heights less than or equal to 30 feet, or is it permissible to use Z<30 feet, resulting in reduced calculated design wind pressure values?

I have designed several soundwalls, but always using either the older AASHTO Guide Specifications for Structural Design of Sound Barriers (1989), or ASCE/SEI. Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah the wind load is pretty dang confusing to me. The TRB and NCHRP have a lot of great information, but they don't seem to make the design community very aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back