Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wind Turbine Fault Contribution-ASPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mstrvb19

Electrical
Feb 1, 2003
IE
I am coming up on several interconnection studies for a transmission client. The Client's system uses ASPEN OneLiner, and most of the connections will be wind farms. I have a few ideas on how to model the wind turbines, but given that ASPEN is a very simplistic model, I am concerned about accuracy. Has anyone had any experience with modeling wind turbines during a fault?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will depend on the type of generator being used. There are several different types in use.

Most commonly, it will be an induction generator with a local cap bank (or solid-state equivalent) for excitation.

I believe ASPEN can model induction generators, so if you can get the generator impedance data, you should be able to model the generators.

If you are interested in just momentary (first cycle) fault currents, 5-cycle fault currents, or similar results based on symmetrical component analysis, this should give you reasonable results. If you're looking for a transient fault analysis that accurately models generator decrement over time, you'll need a lot more information on the turbine-generators (and different analysis software).

Yes, I believe ASPEN will model it as a synchronous machine. The short term values I am OK with, but I am concerned about the longer period faults becuase I had heard that some of the new interconnection agreements were requiring a minimum of 1 s connection during fault conditions (in our area of the country- don't know if this applies elsewhere as well or not). But your conclusion agrees with my thoughts- if I am concerned about this, I have to use different software to model the machines.

I'm not familiar with ASPEN although I have read some of the details on it on the web and it will import PSS/E files.
Most of the Wind Turbine manufacturers I've dealt with (GE, Vestas, Bonus, Nordex, Suzlon etc) produce static and dynamic models of their machines in PSSE for modelling by potential clients and network operators.
If your client is a developer then the turbine manufacturers should be more than happy to provide this model to them if they are considering buying a specific turbine. Then it would simply be a case of importing this into ASPEN and running you simulations.

If your client is not a developer then it may still be possible to gain the information although the wind turbine guys may be a little more reluctant to provide them.

I've used these models for grid code compliance work, fault ride through (as DPC and Mstrvb19 were talking about) and they work fine. Although, you have to trust they're coded correctly as you never get source code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back