Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wind Uplift on porcelain pavers on pedestals

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBI

Civil/Environmental
Nov 6, 2001
US
Wondering if anyone has experience with code compliance with paver/pedestal systems.

I am building 9psf pavers on a pedestal system at about grade level. These systems are becoming more common but would never meet wind uplift code requirements (Calculated to be 26psf on a 120mph wind). My question is - are they even required to meet wind uplift code?? It is an apartment building complex patio and rather large. Once it was mentioned I think it now must be addressed somehow. The pavers on pedestals are being installed over a garage roof and we do not want to pernetrate the roofing membrane. So mechanical anchorage is not a possibility. Thanks for any insight

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Consider underside of the paver . If the pressure is atmospheric , net uplift force will develop at the top surface . Your options, increase the wt , provide mechanical anchorage etc.
You may assume roofing element ( envelope )and perform the calculations .

Pls look my previous post ..
Car ventilation with wind uplift.. 3
thread507-475858

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

ASCE 7-22 has guidance on this in section 30.12. They permit this to be established by testing.

I can't seem to find it now but a grid manufacturer provided test data for their system. As I remember it handled very high wind speeds with no issue. Maybe reach out to the manufacturer of the system the architect is specifying?

A little off topic, but I recently had an AHJ require me to submit calculations regarding the uplift resistance of open steel grating under this type of wind loading...

Below my points,

- No substantial amount of uplift will develop at gratings . The following para. copy and paste from (Wind Loads for Petrochemical and Other Industrial Facilities-American Society of Civil Engineers (2011)) (No research related to open
grating floors has been published. There is no evidence that open grating floors will significantly affect the wind
forces on the structure.)

- Consider the grating lattice framework calculate the uplift for solid surface and reduce by porosity. ( solidity ratio :
e = AS / Ag ) But still this approach will be overkill..

My opinion..

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back