Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windchill 10: rename number option greyed out -modify identity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWeber

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2011
US
I am a mechanical engineer and working with the system administrator to implement Windchill 10 at our company.

Once a part is checked-in, we would like the ability to rename the "number" in the system. We often start a new product with names like "block" and "screw". Once a product moves into to the quote stage, individual parts are given company part numbers. Is seems that once a part is in Windchill we can not rename the "name" of the part. This option is greyed out. The work around that we are currently using is to do a save-as.

From reading the help files it seems that we need to grant the Modify Identity Permission, but out sys admin does not have this option.

Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Once you start using a PDM system, you need to change some old habits. One is using dummy part names and thenrenaming.

You will find that using names like 'block' and 'screw' only work once becasue once the file is controlled by WC, you cannot use that name again. We decided to just use a new company standard part number from the beginning and if we happen to throw a few numbers away, it is no big deal.

Creating a library for your standard parts like screws, nuts, washers, is a big timesaver in Pro/E. They can be checked in to WC and everyone uses the same parts. You are no longer modeling a screw that someone else modeled yeserday.

Rename also requires that the parts be in common space only. You cannot rename a part that someone has in their workspace. Well, you can rename the display name, but not the filename behind the part.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I understand what you're saying. And this is the problem I am trying to prevent.

Unfortunately we design and develop entirely new products from the ground up, with no ability to predict how many part numbers will be required and if the product will go to market.

It looks like the number can be edited, but the option is greyed out. From reading the help files, it looks like the Modify Identity Permission needs to be activated, yet I do not see this permission check box anywhere.

You need to login as the Site or Organization admin and change the permissions.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I am a site administrator.. but fumbling though the labyrinth of settings.

Do you know where I could find the Modify Identity permission?

The site admin & product admin can rename parts - depending on the way the Windchill has been set up.

I assume by part, you are refereing to Pro/E parts not Windchill parts.

You can rename the cad filename, and this can rename the Windchill number if the system is configured to have the same filename & number.

Otherwise, just ignore the number - it's only used in Windchill.

We discovered the solution to the problem. It required editing a .XML and loading it into windchill. Apparently the default setting prevents allowing this parameter from being edited. We needed to remove the setting in the .XML file. Why PTC does this...I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back