Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winding Data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebems

Electrical
Jul 10, 2007
US
I am looking for the winding data for a 15 HP Myers Submersible Pump Stator, Model # 4RH150M2-23, 3450 RPM, 3 Phase, 230 Volts, 32.5 Amps. Core measurements are: Length = 5", Diameter = 7.5", Back Iron = 1.02", Tooth width = 0.157", slots = 36, Bore Diameter = 4".
The data I have is: 2 wye connection, 3#20 and 1#19 wire, 1-13 span, 9 turn per coil. This appears to be too tight in slot. I don't think it is right. Would appreciate any help. Thanks, Joebems

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello joebems:

The winding seems good for 2 poles. The magnetic load shows
average flux densities. 59 kL/sqin in the air gap, 116 kL/sqin in the back iron and 104 kL/sqin in the teeth.
The Circular mils per ampere are around 267 for the wires posted.However if you drop a single turn the magnetic circuit saturates, so you need to keep the 9 turns per coil, span 1-13 and 2 wye connection.
Since the submersible motors are water cooled it could work with a higer current density. My personal opinion is to try the slot fit with 4 wires #20, this will reduce the copper to 250 CM/AMP but is expected that the water cooling will allow such a reduction. Review the insulation thickness, may be you are puting to much insulation for 230 Volts operation.
I hope this could help you, good luck.

I am trying to run a 75 HP dual voltage Delta wound motor (230/460)in a parallel Wye configuration with 460v L-L. My understanding is that the coils will see 265 volts vs 230 volts in normal delta configuration. Though the coils see a voltage which is 13% higher than rated, I would think the motor should run fine other than a lower than normal PF & efficiency. Is this a correct assumption? What are the potential issues with this arrangement?

Thanks, bobo480

This is for a unique application in which the motor is actualy run on single phase power, with phase shifting caps. It would be a little difficult to describe in short.
Getting back to the coil voltage question, is my assumption correct?

Thanks,

bobo480

I am not sure how the motor will act with phase shifting caps with a single phase supply.

For a regular 3 phase motor and with a regular 3 phase supply, with parallel wye, the core flux will increase and may lead into saturation depending on the original flux density. The no-load current will definitely increase but the extent of increase will depend on the saturation.

* Women are like the police. They can have all the evidence in the world and yet they still want a confession - Chris Rock *

I must assume a 9 lead motor. A twelve lead motor is neither delta nor star until you connect it.
The individual windings in a delta motor see 230 volts on a 460 volt supply.
The individual windings in a wye connected motor see 133 volts on a 460 volts supply.
If you use the parallel wye connection, when you connect 1-7, 2-8, and 3-9 you will have connected one set of windings in delta and applied 460 volts to 230 volt windings.
When you make the 4-5-6 connection you will have created a star connection which is 30 degrees out of phase with the winding that it is supposed to assist. You will also be applying 266 volts to a 230 volt winding.
On three phase I would expect very low torque and very high current. Burnout can be expected in minutes or possibly seconds.
The voltages on single phase will depend on the value of your capacitors and possibly the load. The voltage on one and possibly two phases may be higher than the three phase voltages depending on the capacitor value.
You may have better luck following the instructions and connecting the motor in series delta.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

The motor is indeed a 12 lead unit. Just wanted to confirm that the coil design is specific to either delta or wye connections. Individual coils are designed to see either 133 volts or 230 volts. This is more a question of theory & not a particular application.

Thanks you for the replies!

bobo480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back