Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Window Regulator Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

been18

Automotive
Apr 29, 2003
US

Hi,

I am trying to determine what variables could be relevant to regulator noise on my car window.

Some things I plan to look at are whether any spur gears are present and vibration from the motor.

Also, how do I find the source of vibration? Any trouble shooting methods commonly used? Any type of equipment I could purchase?

Thanks,
Ruby...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I'm not sure I understood correctly what your looking for, but noise form your windows is most probably aerodynamic. The origin is the turbulences created by the gaskets. Some "wistling" kan as well occur if the gaskets aren't tight enough against the window. Try to get a smoother transition between the gaskets and the glaze. No measurement instruments required!

OkdB

I know it is not wind because the noise occurs when I am operating the power window.

The noise is not occuring during driving.

Thanks anyways,
Ruby

Sorry that I got you wrong,

Try to measure vibration levels in 1/3-octave band on the motor and on the window with a small accelerometer. Then compare. If there's no match between the dominating frequencies, you've to look at the mechanism. You could also just measure vibrations on the window and look for a match with the dominant frequency of the gear fixed on the motor shaft: rpm/60 x nb tooth

hope this might help,
OkdB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back