Windows 95 system resources decay over time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SahraniKasim

Automotive
Nov 29, 2002
US
Hii...

I have a P100 with 64MB Ram PC which handle laser marking operation. It has got one A/D I/O card that controls the laser machine.The PC does 3 things :

1. Communicate with PLC (AB SLC500)
2. Control laser marking application (only runs on Win95)
3. Gets data from server (networked)

The problem is that the PC system resources decay to zero after sometime. I installed TaskInfo2003 from to see what's going on. I found out the laser marking application is using 100% of CPU capacity.

When the resources becomes zero, my laser marking will hang-up and burns the product. But this does not happen all the time or better word intermittently.

I tried to change the laser marking application priority from "Normal" to "Idel" or "Low" and suddenly the CPU usage dropped to 8%. However, th system resources still decay over time (after reboot is 88% and after 1 day 35%).

The questions are :

1. What causes system resources to decay over time ?
2. What does it really means by "High", "Normal" and "Low" priority.

Hope you guys can help.

Sahrani

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You say that your Laser Marking Application is using 100% of your CPU capacity. If this application works in conjunction with the A/D I/O controller, then it could be that the controller card is hogging the I/O bus and demanding all of the CPU's time. This can cause the whole system to slow down internally resulting in other systems not getting enough processor time to run effectively enough to maintain system operation and stability. There may not be a memory leak.

It may be worth examining the resources required by the A/D I/O controller card (particularly the use of IRQ(s) and/or DMA channels) and what it is being allowed to use under windows. A little reconfiguration of the A/D I/O controller may restore the system to reliable operation. If you decide to examine hardware resources it may also be worth taking a look at any other hardware devices, especially networking resources and demands.

Hope this helps in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back