Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Windows Java VM vanishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdyBlue

Computer
May 25, 2005
GB
Hi can anyone help me with a problem that has only arisen a few days ago. I have Java 1.5.etc, as well as the selection for VM in three tick Boxes, with a main tickbox to toggle between 1.5.etc and VM. All the VM reference has gone, and my appplications run even without the 1.5.etc being ticked. I unticked it and they still ran.? Can't find any reference at all from Microsoft. Have I stepped into something nasty? Er complete wipe? I hope not. HELP.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. As I can make out from your query, you've updated the options related to Microsoft VM in the Internet Explorer, Tools -> Internet options -> Advanced. Changing these options should not make visible difference during normal operations. The following are the options you see:
i) Java console enabled: is only useful for testing of web Java programs - relevant if you're a web site designer.
ii) Java logging enabled: just creates a log of Java activities. Relevant and useful for debugging your java based web pages and also for managing/tracking security.
iii) JIT compiler enabled: A compilation mechanism for java programs in the web pages.

2. If you want to completely disable Java, go to Tools ->Internet Options -> Security. Click the Custom Level button, scroll down the list, and locate Microsoft VM - Java Permissions.Select Disable Java. This will disable Microsoft VM.

3. If you also have the Sun JVM, you'll see a section Java (Sun) in Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced Tab. If a Microsoft JVM is also available, there is a section called Microsoft VM. To enable Sun's Java, turn on the checkbox labeled Use Java 2 v1.5.xxx for <applet>.

4. Even when the Sun JVM is being used, in the Microsoft VM section, the option for the JIT compiler (ref. 1-iii above) remains selected. Also, under the Custom Level of the Security tab (ref 2 above), the Microsoft VM section remains with High Safety selected. It is advised that you don't change Java permissions to Disable Java option - it most probably will disable the Sun JVM also!

[um.narayanan@gmail.com]

unm
No the items to do with Microsoft Hava VM have disappeared completely. even when I untick Sun Java it still works. How can I restart VM Java?

What do you mean by 'items to do with MS Java VM'? Are you saying that the three items under Tools -> Internet options -> Advanced: Microsoft VM have disappered? Can you give a screen shot of what you see?

Narayanan UM
umn@ieee.org
asaan@lycos.com

There is a difference between Sun Java and Microsoft VM Java. My Microsoft Java VM is missing, if you still don't know what this is please leave this alone until someone may

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back